Personal tools

Military Family Leave (FMLA)

Applying for Family and Medical Leave for Military Family Leave

The Process

Applying for Military Family Leave: The Process

The Forms

These leaves are applied for and approved in the Human Resources Leaves Office, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE, Suite 210 East, Phone 889-4865.

All paperwork must be original. No third party faxes.

Eligible employees are entitled to FMLA Leave to care for a family member who is a current member of the Armed Forces, including a member of the National Guard or Reserves, or a member of the Armed Forces, the National Guard or Reserves who is on the temporary disability retired list, who has a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of duty on active duty for which he or she is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy; or otherwise in outpatient status; or otherwise on the temporary disability retired list.

Eligible employees may not take leave under this provision to care for former members of the Armed Forces, former members of the National Guard and Reserves, and members on the permanent disability retired list.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will be granted to employees who have worked for APS for at least twelve (12) months and who have worked at least 1250 hours or the equivalent of a full work year in the previous 12 months. 

FMLA is limited to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per rolling calendar year.  Intermittent leave will be addressed according to FMLA Law.  For more information, see

Extended Leaves Policy

All leaves of ten (10) consecutive work days or less must be requested through and approved by the employee’s principal or supervisor. Extended leave of more than ten (10) consecutive days, with or without pay, must be requested through the Human Resources Leaves Office. Employees must complete the required Leave Forms and receive the necessary approval before the leave requested may be taken.

When an employee becomes ill or is injured on the job, sick leave begins at the time of inability to continue work, to the nearest half-hour. An employee, who is already on annual leave, personal leave or leave without pay, including parental leave, may not be eligible to use sick leave benefits.

While on an approved leave, an employee may not volunteer or perform any duties for the APS District or utilize APS property for personal use.