Personal tools

Licensure Opportunities

Licenses in the State of New Mexico

NMPED How to Apply for a License

Licensure Options

Alternative Licensure

Looking to become a teacher, but your Bachelor's Degree is not in education? An Alternative licensure program is your perfect pathway. Take a look at our Alternative Licensure Brochure (PDF), or visit NMPED Alternative Educator Prep Program for more information.


  • Official Sealed Transcripts reflecting a Bachelor's Degree
  • Letter of acceptance into an approved program
  • Proof of passage of Praxis Exams (Core Academic Skills for Educators)

Post-Secondary Experience

If you are a teacher at the college level and have worked a minimum of 5 years you could qualify for a teaching license. Visit NMPED Post-Secondary Experience Pathway for more information.



If you possess a current, valid standard teaching license from another State/Country you could be eligible to reciprocate your license. Visit NMPED to apply, renew, or reciprocate a License.



Contact APS Human Resources Licensure by email at  or by phone at (505) 889-4846. Or come and visit us at 6400 Uptown NE, Suite 210E, Albuquerque, NM 87110.