Community Eligibility Provision FAQs

FAQs about Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Schools.

Did You Know?

139 of APS schools qualify for the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) and will take effect school year 2023-2024. CEP allows school districts in high poverty areas to provide meals at no charge to all students in schools that qualify.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is CEP?

Community Eligibility Provision allows school districts in high poverty areas to provide meals at no charge to students in schools that qualify.

How were schools selected?

Schools were selected based on the percentage of directly certified students in the school year 2022-2023.

What is a “Directly Certified” (DC) student?

A student may be directly certified when they receive certain federal benefits including SNAP, TANF, and FDPIR. Students identified by the district as homeless, Head Start, migrant, or runaways are also considered directly certified.

Is the program just for students? What about staff, visiting family, etc.?

Yes, only enrolled students may take advantage of the no charge breakfast and lunch program. Staff must continue to pay for meals. Family members visiting their students during breakfast or lunch are also required to pay.

Are A La Carte items also no charge?

Only one reimbursable school breakfast and lunch per student is at no charge.

If I have a child attending a CEP school and a child attending a non-CEP school, do I have to complete a school meal application?

Yes, you must complete a school meal application. Be sure to include all adults and children in the household, including any children attending any CEP schools.

What if my student(s) has a balance on his/her account?

Account balances may be used to purchase additional menu items and a la carte snacks. A student’s account balance at a CEP school may be transferred to another student in the household who attends a non-CEP school or donated to unpaid meal charges.

(A refund may also be requested. Refunds and transfers are only made after receipt of a signed letter requesting such. Refund requests should be forwarded to: Albuquerque Public Schools, Food and Nutrition Services, 800 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87107, ATTN: Geri Jones.)