Personal tools

Separation of Employment

Employee Handbook: Separation of Employment

There are two types of terminations, Voluntary and Involuntary.

Voluntary Terminations

APS will consider you to have voluntarily terminated your employment if you:

  • Resign from APS: A letter of resignation from your employment with APS must be given to your immediate supervisor with a copy to the Human Resources Department. In some cases, a verbal resignation or another form of communication will be accepted.
  • Retire from APS: A letter of retirement must be sent to the Superintendent with a copy to your supervisor and the Human Resources Department.
  • Abandonment:
    • Failure to return from an approved leave of absence on the date specified; or
    • Failure to report to work or call in for three (3) or more consecutive workdays.

Time of Notice

Teachers and administrators should give a minimum of 30 days’ notice for voluntary termination of employment. All other employees should provide at minimum 14 days’ notice for voluntary termination of employment. 

Form of Notice

Include the following information in your Resignation or Retirement letter:

  • Name
  • Employee Number
  • APS Work Location
  • Home Address
  • Personal Phone Number
  • Personal Email Address
  • Last Day of Work
  • A clear statement of your intention to resign or retire from your position

Involuntary Terminations

Below are two types of involuntary terminations:

  1. APS may terminate/discharge you from your employment for poor performance, misconduct, excessive absences, tardiness, discrimination, or other violations of APS policies. If your employment is at will, you or APS may terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any or no reason. 

  2. APS may elect not to renew the expiring contracts of some employees. This is considered "Non-Renewal". 


If you are remaining employed by APS but are transferring to a different position or location, the appropriate documentation must be submitted to HR by your new supervisor.

Return of District Property

ALL district, department, school, and/or outside agency (i.e. PTO) purchased equipment and supplies MUST remain at the original worksite. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Computers/Laptops
  • Hardware
  • Software
  • iPads
  • Furniture
  • Shredders
  • Office and cleaning supplies
  • Sound systems

Any property APS issues to you, such as keys, uniforms, computer equipment, parking passes or vehicles, etc., must be returned to your supervisor at the time of termination. You will be responsible for any lost or damaged items. The value of property issued and not returned may be deducted from your paycheck. You may be required to sign a wage deduction authorization form for this purpose.

For Additional Information Contact:

Albuquerque Public Schools
Human Resources Department
6400 Uptown Blvd. NE, Suite 200 East 
Albuquerque 87110 Map
(505) 880-3700

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Standards Administration, Wage and Hour Division
1-866-4US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243)
TTY: 1-877-889-5627