Personal tools

Kindergarten Registration Requirements and Checklist

Get the scoop on kindergarten age and immunization requirements, required documents for registration, and how to enroll for kindergarten online with ParentVUE.

Kindergarten Requirements


To be enrolled in an Albuquerque Public Schools kindergarten, a child shall be at least five years of age prior to 12:01 a.m., on September 1, of the school year in which they are enrolling.

New Mexico state statute requires students of the appropriate age to enter a kindergarten program in a public school, private school, home school, or a state institution.

Exception to the enrollment requires the parent to secure a waiver from the superintendent or his/her designee (Student, School and Community Service Center). The Albuquerque Public Schools waiver states that the student may be given approval to remain out of school one additional year prior to entering kindergarten. Upon entry into public school, the child shall enroll in the kindergarten program.


In accordance with state law, before attending school, all children must have the following immunizations:

  1. Polio Series
  2. DTP Series (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)
  3. MMR 1 and 2 (measles, mumps and rubella)
  4. Hepatitis B Series
  5. Varicella (chicken pox)

New Mexico state statute requires all students be currently immunized before entrance into public school. The school or licensed school nurse shall instruct appropriate personnel in the procedure of recording immunizations in the student’s Cumulative Health Record.

If a student does not have the required immunizations after thirty days of entering school, the student may be dis-enrolled.

Immunization Information

Current immunization information can be found on the Nursing Immunization Info for Families page. Make appointments with your health care provider to keep your child’s shots up-to-date.

Need your student's shot records?

The Department of Health now offers a simple way to access shot records yourself! Access My Immunization Records.

Required Documents

  • Please submit all of the documents in the order shown.
  • Individual schools may choose to provide additional items for you to complete.
  • APS no longer photocopies birth certificates. Families will upload the birth certificate to ParentVUE and the school registrar or Attendance Clerk will upload information into Synergy.

Documents to Submit

  1. Student's Birth Certificate (must be an original, not a copy). Acceptable substitutions until an official birth certificate can be obtained:
    • CIB certificate for Native Americans
    • Reliable medical, civil, or religious records
    • Letter from a duly authorized agency having custody (D.E.S. or court-appointed guardian)
  2. Most Current Immunization Record (signed by healthcare provider). If you need your immunization records, you or the school nurses can look up your Immunization Records.
  3. Registration form, completed via ParentVUE. Learn About ParentVUE and How to Register.
    1. Families without a computer or internet access can contact the Student Service Center for assistance by phone at (505) 855-9040 or by email at
  4. Residency Documentation Form, with proof of home address. Two proofs of residency are required:
    • Driver's license
    • Utility or phone bill
    • Rental agreement
    • Bank or credit statement
  5. Kindergarten Transportation Information
  6. Kindergarten Parent Questionnaire
  7. Student Health History:
    1. School nurse will be available to answer questions or concerns about your child's health. Contact your school site to find out who your child's school nurse is.
    2. Review the Forms for Medication at School and submit them to your school if the following cases apply:
      1. If your student has a medical condition requiring medication to be taken at school, your doctor must complete a form prior to bringing the medication to school.
      2. If you request that your student be allowed to take over the counter medications (allergy medicine, cough drops, etc.), you must complete and submit a form for the Health Office.
  8. McKinney-Vento Eligibility Form - your family is living with relatives or homeless
  9. Language Survey Form
  10. Any legal court documentation that provides custody information
  11. Family Living with Family Form, if the family does not have a home of their own

Thank You! We look forward to working with you and your child in the upcoming year!

Enroll Your Student Online With ParentVUE

Review the ParentVUE/StudentVUE Information

Visit ParentVUE/StudentVUE information for helpful information:

  • Step-by-step registration instructions
  • Computer and internet assistance
  • Technical support

New to APS

  1. You will need to create a ParentVUE account to register your kindergartener. Review the ParentVUE Registration Instructions
  2. Select registration for the 2023-2024 school year.
  3. Complete all tabs of the registration.
  4. Upload the required documents as prompted.

Returning to APS

  1. You can log into ParentVUE to enroll your kindergartener and add them to your ParentVUE account.
  2. Select registration for the 2023-2024 school year.
  3. Review all of your student's information in each tab, and double-check that your contact information and emergency contacts are up to date.
  4. Upload the required documents as prompted.

Need help?

  • For support on anything related to ParentVUE or StudentVUE, contact your school.
  • Use the School Directory to find your school's phone number.
  • Not sure which school your student will go to? Use Find My School.