Information about how to submit a transfer request in order to switch schools.

The first window for transfer applications runs through Jan. 31.

Applying For A Transfer

  • Students who currently have an approved transfer DO NOT need to reapply unless they want to change schools.
  • Students who are transitioning from elementary to middle school or middle school to high school DO need to apply for a transfer if they want to attend a school outside their assigned area.

Apply Online

Families who would like their child to attend an APS school outside their assigned attendance area in 2019-20 may apply online for a transfer beginning January 1, 2019.

Apply In Person

Applications also may be completed in person in the Student Service Center on the first floor of the APS administration building, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE.

About Student ID Numbers

Parents will need to know each student’s ID number if they are currently an APS student or have ever attended an APS school.

New Students Only

  • In order to register your student into APS, you will need to create a ParentVue account online.
  • An ID number will be generated for your student, once your information is processed by the transfer office.
  • When your account is active, submit your student’s registration information. Registration information includes primary and emergency contacts, medical information, birth certificate, student’s name, date of birth, address. All information will be submitted with the default school year set as 2018-2019. It will change to the correct year when your student starts school in August 2019.

The Next Step in ParentVue account creation process will ask you to choose between selecting your student’s District School or Transfer Request

  • If you select Transfer Request your student’s information will be sent to the transfer office for processing. 
    If you wish to submit a transfer request you MUST choose Transfer Request.
  • If you select your District School your student’s information will be sent directly to that school.

Please allow a few days for processing once your information is submitted. After your student’s registration is processed you will receive an email with your student’s APS ID number. If you want to request a transfer to another APS school, use this ID number to complete your request through the Student Transfer Request Form.

Transfers for Incoming Kindergarten Students or New Students

For: parents with existing ParentVue Accounts, that need ID numbers’s for incoming kindergarten students or new students.

  • Log on to ParentVue
  • Click "Begin New Registration"
  • Select the "Student" tab, then "Add new student".
  • Fill out the information completely and select Transfer Request and submit.

Existing or Currently Enrolled Students

For your student's current APS ID number please contact your student’s current school to be issued your student’s ID number. Your student's ID number will also be listed on any official school documentation (i.e. IEP’s, Report Cards, or Progress Reports).

Please allow a few days for processing as high volumes of requests may cause delays. If you are in need of immediate assistance contact 505-855-9040 or 505-855-9050.

For more information, call the APS Student Service Center at 855-9050 or 855-9040.

How transfers are granted

Transfers are not on a first-come, first served basis; requests will be processed as having been received on the same day in January.

Transfers are granted based on the space available in a school or program. We use a random selection process and priority system that is in compliance with state and federal regulations. Learn more about transfers.

En Español

Los traslados se aprueban solamente si hay espacio y programas disponibles a lo largo del año. Por más información, por favor comuníquese con la Transfer Office (oficina de traslados), al. (505) 855-9050, o. (505) 855-9040.