Personal tools

Enrolling Students Who have Completed a GED or Who Have Graduated from High School in a Foreign Country

Albuquerque Public Schools High Schools shall permit students who have received a GED to attend school if they wish to pursue a traditional diploma pursuant to state law and regulation.  § 6.30.3.E “Except for a school age person who is detained or enrolled in a state institution, a New Mexico resident who has passed the GED tests and has received a GED certificate, may as permitted by law enroll in any public school in New Mexico for the purpose of obtaining a school district or charter school issued high school diploma, provided the examinee has not yet attained the age of 21.”

Regarding graduates from another country, state law, in part, defines a qualified student as “a public school student who has not graduated from high school.” Albuquerque Public Schools shall not enroll students who have earned their HS diploma in other countries. 

Albuquerque Public Schools shall review transcripts of all students enrolled who have received a GED to confirm the student is an eligible public school student.  If, after the transcript review has been completed, it is determined that a student is eligible for a diploma, the district shall refer the student to continue their education at the appropriate higher education institution. 

Administrative Position:             Chief Academic Officer

Department Director:                   Director of Curriculum and Instruction


Legal Cross Ref.:                                NMAC 6.30.3
Board Policy Cross Ref.:                    IH - Instructional Program
                                                           IJ – Instructional Resources and Materials

Procedural Directive Cross Ref.:       

NSBA/NEPN Classification:        IJJ

Introduced: December 9, 2015
Adopted: December 11, 2015