Personal tools

High School Equivalency Exam (HST)(GED Testing)


  1. The person has not graduated from high school; and
  2. Has not reached their 18th birthday; and
  3. The person is at least 16 years of age; and
  4. Has withdrawn from APS

Students residing at New Mexico juvenile correctional institutions will be permitted to take the HST at  age 16 provided that they receive a recommendation to do so from the educational director of that institution. They will receive the high school equivalency credential upon completion of a high school equivalency credential assessment or program


  1. All requests by 16 or 17 year old students to leave school in order to take the HST will be referred to the Student, Parent, and Employee Service Center. Prior to such a referral, the student and parents/guardians will be counseled concerning APS alternatives, in an effort to keep the student enrolled in school.
  2. Application to take the HST will be reviewed and processed by the Student, Parent, and Employee Service Center. The student and the parent/guardian need to be present and provide the following items to process the request:
  3. New Mexico residents who have passed the HST and whose high school class has graduated will receive their diploma from the State HST office. Only New Mexico residents will receive the New Mexico High School Diploma of Excellence.
    1. Birth Certificate
    2. Withdrawal form from the last APS High School the student attended.
    3. Copy of transcripts

Administrative Position:  Chief of Schools

Department Director:      

  • Executive Director: Student, Family and Employee Service Center


Legal Reference:           6.30.3 NMAC

NSBA/NEPN Classification: IHDB

Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: May 1997
Reviewed: January 5, 2023
Revised: January 20, 2023