Personal tools

Travel and Reimbursement

In-District Travel

Mileage reimbursement will be paid to those staff who must use privately owned vehicles in the conduct of official APS business as assigned by his/her supervisor.

Mileage reimbursement claims are based only on APS In-District Mileage Chart. If not listed, odometer readings are required.

Claims representing expenditures must be routed through the region/division office before submission to the Control Agent.

Form AD-94 In District Mileage Reimbursement (obtained from principal’s office or accounting office) must be completed according to guidelines and submitted to the appropriate supervisor.

Reimbursement requests must be received in Control Agent’s office no later than the 7th of each month. Only reimbursement requests for the immediately preceding month will be accepted. All others will be returned, unpaid.

Only in-district mileage should be requested. (Canoncito is the only place out of Albuquerque that is considered in-district.)

Claims will be paid approximately the last week of each month.

Those who drive privately owned vehicles in the conduct of official APS business must have adequate liability automobile insurance. See directive Use of Private Vehicles on School Business.

Mileage cannot be paid from activity funds.

Business conducted either on the way to work, or on the way home, is not authorized for reimbursement.

Out of District Travel

Prior approval by the Chief Financial Officer is required for any out of district travel. Reimbursement claims for travel outside APS boundaries must be submitted on ‘Request for Travel Funds’ (form AD-04).

Travel to surrounding communities and/or other cities in the State can not be reimbursed using in-district mileage forms.

Out of State Travel

  1. Complete Form AD-04, Request for Travel Funds;
  2. Indicate cost account to be used;
  3. Attach Request for Leave, Form AC-04;
  4. Obtain necessary signatures.

All out-of-state requests must be filed with the Office of the Chief Financial Officer at least ten (10) working days prior to departure. In-state requests must be submitted five (5) working days prior to departure.

The appropriate superintendent or division head is responsible for notifying persons taking trips if a summary report is required.

Reimbursable Expenses and Per Diem

Per diem is computed two different ways depending on whether an overnight stay is involved. There are also separate per diem rates allowed depending on the destination both in state or out-of-state. For required overnight stay:

  • Standard overnight in-state per diem: $65.00
  • Standard overnight out-of-state per diem: $75.00
  • Special per diem rates are allowable for certain high cost areas.

The current special rates and areas are:

  • In state ($75.00): Santa Fe
  • Out-of-state ($95.00): New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Palm Springs, San Diego, Atlanta, Boston, Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Dallas/Fort Worth and areas outside the continental United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.

Partial day per diem may be paid when an overnight trip exceeds 24 hours but will not result in another overnight stay, or when an employee travels out of town and is not able to return within two hours beyond his/her normal work day.

Partial day per diem is paid at the following rates:

  • More than 2 hours, but less than 6 hours beyond the normal work day: $ 8.00
  • More than 6 hours, but less than 12 hours beyond the normal work day: $16.00
  • More than 12 hours, but not involving an overnight stay: $22.50

Travel by private aircraft is prohibited.

The following actual expenses in addition to per diem may be reimbursed:

  • Actual costs for travel by common carrier, provided each trip is accomplished in the most economical manner practical;
  • Taxi or other transportation fares at the destination of the traveler;
  • Rental cars when suitable public transportation is not available;
  • Registration fees for educational programs or conferences provided that no reimbursement will be made for that portion of a registration fee which includes lodging and/or meals.

Procedure for Reimbursement

Persons taking out-of-state trips must sign a travel voucher (upon return) in the Office of the Chief Financial Officer to obtain reimbursement. Reimbursement checks will be mailed to the traveler from the Budget and Accounting Office within a six-week period after signing a travel voucher.

Use of Staff Car for Out-of-District Travel

Anyone desiring use of a staff car for out-of-district travel must complete the necessary approval form, Request for Staff Car for Out-Of-Town Travel. Persons signing for gasoline purchased with District credit cards must submit tickets to the Budget and Accounting Office upon return.

Accounting Procedures

APS contracts with a specific travel agent for travel services. Airfare will be billed to a district account and charged back to the APS department/cost account accordingly. Car rentals are handled the same way. Contact Procurement for current details after receiving proper authorizations.

Cross Ref.:

  • Use of Private Vehicles on School Business directive
  • Request for Travel Funds form AD-04
  • Request for Leave form AC-04
  • Request for Staff Car for Out-Of-Town Travel form

NSBA/NEPN Classification: DKC

Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: June 1997