Student Transportation Services
912 Oak St. SE
Albuquerque 87106 Map
The Albuquerque Public School District is the 28th largest school district in the nation serving over 95,000 children. APS Student Transportation Services oversees 16 bus contractors that transport over 41,258 of the district's children each day to over 140 locations. For the 2012-2013 school year, APS used 406 contract buses and 80 additional spare buses. Collectively, APS buses travel over 6.11 million miles annually. School transportation is provided throughout the regular school year and during the summer for extended school year programs. In addition, transportation is provided for various school-sponsored activities.
- The circumference of the world at the equator is 24,902.
- Did you know the school bus travels around the earth 1.37 times each DAY?
- The projected total miles for 2012-2013 is 6,112,512.2.
- The school bus travels 34,340 Miles/Day.
- We have 107 attendants, 406 drivers and 519 buses. (This includes spare buses).
- We have 2465 routes AM and PM (fourtier system).
- 40th day 2012-2013 Regular riders: 41,258. The APS 40th day enrollment was over 95,000.
Providing transportation services involves a number of planning tasks. For general transportation, the department establishes bus stop locations and times, studies hazardous walk zones, and determines the limits of walk zones (1 mile for elementary, 1.5 for middle and 2 miles for high schools). Coordinating transportation for special education students involves determining the type of bus needed, and transportation to activities involves planning one-time transportation for athletics, field trips, etc. The department also reviews routes on a regular basis to determine the most efficient/economical routes. STS verifies that drivers and bus attendants meet all the requirements such as licensure, training, drug testing, physical qualifications, and criminal background checks, etc... as per Federal, State, and District rules, regulations and policies.
- School Bus Rules
- Student Eligibility
- Student Transportation Handbook
- Bus Contractors
- Bus Stop Change Request Form
- School Bus Fleet - Transportation Industry News
- School Transportation News
- School Bus Safety
- New Mexico School Bus Safety Program