Family Engagement Collaborative
The APS Family Engagement Collaborative is composed of multiple departments and a representative from the New Mexico PTA. The Collaborative meets regularly, working together to design and implement programs and projects to help meet the district goals for family engagement.
APS Board of Education Goal #3, Family and Community Involvement is defined as “meaningfully engage families and enhance partnerships with community to maximize student achievement.”
- Coordinated School Health
- New Mexico PTA
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Special Education
- Early Childhood
- Student, Family, and Community Supports Division
- Equity and Engagement Office
- Student, Schools and Community Service Center
- Family Engagement/ Parent University Unit
- Title I
- Indian Education
- Truancy Unit
- Language and Cultural Equity
- Office of Accountability and Reporting
The Collaborative moves towards this goal through:
- Sharing what each department is doing for family engagement;
- Determining ways to work more collaboratively on family engagement; and
- Determining how to move the “dial” for more positive family engagement in APS.
- Identifying how family engagement activities are linked to learning.
- Every student matters.
- We believe that partnerships between community, family, and APS are critical for student success.
- Families and school staff should be equal partners.
The Collaborative developed Action Steps around three priorities and created a Strategic Action Plan to ensure Action Steps are completed.
- Strengthening relationships and capacity with families, schools, communities, and district administration
- Utilizing data to support schools
- Expanding communication
- Customer Service Training for Frontline Office Staff
- Poverty Awareness Training
- PED School Grade bonus points guidance
- Family Engagement Institute (with NMPTA)
- Parent University
- School Walk Through Process
- Professional Development for Family Liaisons
- Provide Support and Information at District-wide Family Engagement Events