IH1 – Treatment of Religious Issues
Albuquerque Public Schools shall strive to maintain a neutral stance in matters involving religion. Albuquerque Public Schools shall adhere to the following guidelines regarding religion and the instructional day:
- The school year calendar shall be planned to avoid conflict with religious holidays.
- In case of conflict, students shall be allowed excused absences to observe religious holidays.
- The sacred literature of all faiths may be studied only for its historical, artistic, cultural, literary or other secular importance.
- Religious exhibits, music or display of religious objects or symbols may be permissible only if they are used as learning materials in these studies.
School facilities may be used by religious groups outside of instructional hours or when such use will not conflict or interfere with the school program in accordance with Board of Education policy and administrative procedural directive.
Albuquerque Public Schools shall not conduct or sanction any invocations, benedictions, or formal prayers at any district-sponsored activities.
- Chief Academic Officer
- Executive Director of Instruction and Accountability/Executive Director of Curriculum
Legal Cross Ref.:
- §22-12-3 NMSA 1978
- §22-15-15 through §22-15-20 NMSA 1978
- §22-27-2 NMSA 1978
Board Policy Cross Ref.:
Procedural Directive Cross Ref.:
- Buildings and Grounds: Non-School Use of Albuquerque Public Schools Facilities
- Religious Issues and Holiday Practices
- Student Behavior Handbook
Board Policy Cross Ref.: K.03 Non-School Use of Albuquerque Public Schools Facilities
NSBA/NEPN Classification: IMB
Approved: September 7, 1983
Revised: January 17, 1990
Revised: February 20, 1996
Revised: April 2001
Reviewed: January 8, 2013
Reviewed: June 12, 2013
Revised: June 14, 2013