Our goals for meeting the challenges of public education in Albuquerque.
Community Input for Goals
APS hosted a series of public meetings to gather input on goals for the district. This input was compiled and reviewed by the superintendent and the APS Board of Education, and used, along with other factors, to determine the four goals for Albuquerque Public Schools.
APS partners with families and communities to support great schools and great employees so that all students can learn.
APS is committed to achieving academic excellence, creating quality, safe learning environments, and ensuring effective and efficient operations.
Goal One: Academic Achievement
APS will implement an academic plan aimed at improving achievement for all students with an intensified focus on closing the achievement gap.
- Action Plan 1.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will improve academic achievement by 3 percent for the next three years (from 51 percent to 60 percent proficient in reading and 44 percent to 53 percent in math) and close the gap by 5 percent for the next three years (from a gap of 25.9 points to a gap of 10.9 points in three years in reading and from a 27-point gap to no more than a 12-point gap in math.) by providing support that ensures teachers successfully increase rigor through the implementation of the CCSS in a stimulating classroom environment.
- Action Plan 2.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will improve academic performance of all students and close the achievement gap by systematically identifying and supporting struggling students to increase their level of proficiency by 3 percent per year for three years to 60 percent proficient in reading and 53 percent proficient in math.
- Action Plan 3.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will expand opportunities and services for students with online courses and instructional digital tools for teachers to increase graduation rates to 70 percent.
- Action Plan 4.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will audit Bilingual and Dual Language programs in all Albuquerque Public Schools to ensure a continuum of services for all students, to increase achievement by 3 percent and close gap by 5 percent.
- Action Plan 5.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will review and study referrals to Special Education in order to decrease referrals by 5 percent over the next three (3) years.
- Action Plan 6.0 – Albuquerque Public Schools will support all schools with A-F school grading to increase schools earning C or better by 50 percent.
Goal Two: Financial Stewardship
APS will maintain a transparent, sound, and responsible financial plan that focuses resources to the classroom and advances student achievement, supports family/community involvement, and promotes school safety.
- Action Plan 1 – Develop a centralized, balanced budget while supporting the district’s goal areas (Student Achievement, Parent Community Involvement and School Environment).
- Action Plan 2 – Provide a timely annual independent audit with minimal findings.
- Action Plan 3 – Establish and maintain a treasury management program that prudently and strategically leverages district fund balances in accordance with Board Policy D.02 Investments.
- Action Plan 4 – Establish and maintain a system for position management.
- Action Plan 5 – Continue to leverage and maintain a stable financial information management system.
- Action Plan 6 – Maintain an aligned and reconciled Capital Master Plan.
- Action Plan 7 – Complete a district-wide capital maintenance needs assessment plan (including Information Technology Department).
- Action Plan 8 – Pass February 2013 Mill Levy election.
- Action Plan 9 – Ensure timely, appropriate and legal expenditures of district grant funds.
- Action Plan 10 – Ensure timely and accurate payment of all district obligations.
- Action Plan 11 – Track and reduce the Procurement Administrative Lead (PALT; length of time between the issuance of a Lawson purchase order and approval by APS Procurement) to expedite the delivery of goods and services to schools and the departments that support schools.
- Action Plan 12 – Identify unauthorized purchases in order to minimize the potential for audit findings.
- Action Plan 13 – Provide improved asset management reporting to align with APS procedural directive, state code, state auditor’s rule and the needs of the district Capital Fiscal Services (CFS) department.
- Action Plan 14 – Solve the calendar issue whereby 9-month employees receive a check too early in the year and are in an overpaid status for a period of time at the beginning of the year (PR and HR departments).
- Action Plan 15 – Centralize activity fund processing (General Ledger Department).
- Action Plan 16 – Activate electronic vendor payment processing in Lawson (Accounts Payable Department).
Goal Three: Family and Community Involvement
APS will meaningfully engage families and enhance partnerships with the community to maximize student achievement.
- Action Plan 1 – Albuquerque Public Schools will fully develop and implement effective, district-wide parental/legal guardian access to student information.
- Action Plan 2 – All staff will be provided professional development on strategies which assure that families and other visitors experience safety, comfort, friendliness and respect at all APS sites.
- Action Plan 3 – APS, in partnership with the community, will plan and launch a parent university model.
- Action Plan 4 – A comprehensive district volunteer services program will be developed and implemented to support schools.
- Action Plan 5 – Recognizing that each school community is different and reacts differently to the tools that are used, a consistent triad of communication using established web, phone and print based methods will be maintained.
- Action Plan 6 – Strategies to establish both formal and informal opportunities in individual schools for families and school staff to form stronger partnerships will be developed and implemented.
- Action Plan 7 – A focused and aligned district direction for all required or existing internal/external groups will be developed.
- Action Plan 8 – APS will implement pilot community school sites.
- Action Plan 9 – The district’s community fundraising and in-kind donation mechanism will be organized and strengthened.
- Action Plan 10 – Necessary translation and interpreter services for essential school and district information will be made available.
- Action Plan 11 – Technical assistance for creating or strengthening family organizations will be provided to schools.
- Action Plan 12 – The foundations of cultural proficiency will be applied in all APS policies and practices.
- Action Plan 13 – Engage families and community partners for truancy prevention and intervention.
Goal Four: School Environment
APS will provide a safe and supportive climate for learning and working that maximizes student achievement.
- Action Plan 1 – Continued site safety plan for staff, students and the community.
- Action Plan 2 – Continue to develop a district-managed plan against bullying that will foster a safe, respectful and fear-free environment.
- Action Plan 3 – Continue to work on APS having its own police department; ensure that staff, students and the community have the consistent, immediate attention and follow policies set forth by the APS Board of Education.
- Action Plan 4 – Required fire drills for all schools and APS facilities.
- Action Plan 5 – Required lockdown drills involving schools and non-school facilities.
- Action Plan 6 – Conduct and manage threat assessments regarding students.
- Action Plan 7 – Continue developing a managed plan in addressing drug and alcohol abuse in the district.
- Action Plan 8 – Create and post family friendly signage in multiple languages that directs parents and others to a central location for information.