2013 School Board Member Election
Information from the 2013 school board election for districts 3, 5, 6 and 7.
On This Page
- Board Member Candidate Requirements
- Candidate Information
- Maps of School Board Districts
- Related Statutes
Questions and More Information
Anyone with questions on voter registration issues is encouraged to visit the Bernalillo County Clerk’s web site for more information and resources.
New Mexico School Boards Association
Candidates are encouraged to visit the New Mexico School Boards Association for more information.
Rules for Campaigning
APS has specific rules about campaigning on or near school property. Go to Policy K06 for details.
For questions or more information, please email APS Board and Constituent Services at email@example.com or call (505) 880-3737.
For information about:
- filing a declaration of candidacy or withdrawing candidacy for a school board member position
- voter eligibility and registration
- all early/absentee voting information
Contact the Bernalillo County Clerk at:
One Civic Plaza NW 6th Floor
Albuquerque, NM 87102-9854
The next election for APS school board members will be in 2015 for districts 1, 2, and 4. Anyone filing as a candidate for a school board member position must meet the following criteria:
- Be a registered voter
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Not be a convicted felon
- Physically reside in the school board district for which the individual is a candidate
- Physically reside in the school board district to be represented at the time the APS Board of Education votes on the proclamation acknowledging the upcoming election. This proclamation must be approved by the APS Board of Education by November 30 preceding the election. School board candidates must reside in the school board district for which they are running before the proclamation is approved. Check with APS Board of Education Services at 880-3737 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the exact date when the proclamation will be scheduled on an APS Board of Education agenda.
- Note: An employee with Albuquerque Public Schools who has filed as a candidate for a school board member position and is elected to that position must resign as an employee to serve on the Board of Education. APS Board of Education Policy GB12 and New Mexico State Statute 22-5-5.
In addition to the legal qualifications for school board member candidates, elected members of the APS Board of Education must commit to:
- Two regular board meetings per month
- Special board meetings when called (usually two per month)
- Additional meetings such as executive meetings, briefings and others as needed
- Regularly scheduled committee meetings per month of the board such as Policy and Instruction; Finance and Audit; District and Community Relations; and Capital Outlay, Property and Technology. Contact the APS Board of Education office at 880-3737 or email@example.com to find out the exact schedules of meetings.
- Professional trainings
- Other considerations as circumstances warrant
- Per diem for regular, special and committee meetings ($85 per meeting; possible mileage if meetings are held outside of the Albuquerque area)
- No other APS compensation
School Board District 3 Candidates
Candido Arturo Archuleta, Jr.
Lorenzo L. Garcia
Leah E. Persons
School Board District 5 Candidate
Steven Michael Quezada
School Board District 6 Candidates
Angela L. Gonzales Carver
Donald R. Duran
School Board District 7 Candidates
Larry A. Langley
David Eugene Peercy
- District 1 Map and Description
- District 2 Map and Description
- District 3 Map and Description
- District 4 Map and Description
- District 5 Map and Description
- District 6 Map and Description
- District 7 Map and Description
- List of charter schools located in school board districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Map of charter schools located in school board districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- 1-22-3 School district elections; qualifications of candidates
- 1-22-7-Declaration of Candidacy; filing date; penalty
- 1-22-8 Declaration of Candidacy; sworn statement of intent; form
- 1-22-9 Withdrawal of candidates
- 1-22-11 Publication
- 22-5-5 District Employment
- New Mexico School Board Candidate Guide (from the New Mexico School Boards Association)
- Orientation Manual for New School Board Members (from the New Mexico School Boards Association)
- View the complete School Election Law Statutes