Personal tools

Separation of Employment

Learn about voluntary terminations (resignations or retirement), involuntary terminations, transfers to another position or location in APS, return of district property, and the APS Exit Interview.

Voluntary Terminations

APS will consider you to have voluntarily terminated your employment; if you resign from your position, retire from APS or abandon your position.


Time of Notice:

  • Teachers and administrators should give a minimum of 30 daysnotice for voluntary termination of employment.
  • All other employees should provide at minimum 14 days’ notice for voluntary termination of employment.

Resignation Form: A form must be given to your immediate supervisor with a copy to the Human Resources Department.

  1. Print and complete this form: Resignation Form (PDF)
  2. Have your Supervisor sign the form
  3. Send a copy of the form to Human Resources


  •  Prior to submitting your application for retirement, it is recommended that you contact the Educational Retirement Board to confirm your eligibility and request a retirement benefit estimate. APS does not provide retirement benefit estimates. You may contact the Educational Retirement Board at (505) 888-1560.
  • If you are eligible to retire from APS, follow the steps outlined on the Retirees Information & Instructions webpage.
  • Complete and submit your retirement application at least 60 days prior to the effective date of your retirement, but not more than 90-days prior.


  • Failure to return from an approved leave of absence on the date specified; or 
  • Failure to report to work or call in for three (3) or more consecutive workdays.

Involuntary Terminations

Below are two types of involuntary terminations:

  • APS may terminate/discharge you from your employment for poor performance, misconduct, excessive absences, tardiness, discrimination or other violations of APS policies. If your employment is at will, you or APS may terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any or no reason.
  • APS may elect not to renew the expiring contracts of some employees. This is considered Non-Renewal.


If you are remaining employed by APS but are transferring to a different position or location, the appropriate documentation must be submitted to HR by your new supervisor.

Return of District Property

ALL district, department, school, and/or outside agency (i.e. PTO) purchased equipment and supplies MUST remain at the original worksite. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Computers/Laptops
  • Hardware
  • Software
  • iPads
  • Furniture
  • Shredders
  • Office and cleaning supplies
  • Sound systems

Any property APS issues to you, such as keys, uniforms, computer equipment, parking passes or vehicles, etc., must be returned to your supervisor at the time of termination. You will be responsible for any lost or damaged items. The value of property issued and not returned may be deducted from your paycheck. You may be required to sign a wage deduction authorization form for this purpose.

APS Exit Interview

The purpose of the Exit Interview Questionnaire is to improve employment, training, and supervision practices at Albuquerque Public Schools. Your participation is completely voluntary but also very important. Please complete this questionnaire fully and honestly. Your responses are confidential. They will be combined with responses from other exiting employees to help the Human Resources department and district leaders understand employee experiences and improve working conditions.