Personal tools

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Attendance and Truancy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What can I do to get my child to school?

Talk to your child about the importance of daily attendance. Make school attendance a priority and your expectation for your child. Only let your child stay home if he/she is truly sick. At times, your child may resist going to school. School staff are here to support you. Working with your child's teacher or the school counselor may help you identify the reason for your child not wanting to go to school.

How do I report an absence?

Call the school’s attendance line each day your child is absent. Provide your child’s name and the reason for the absence. If you have a doctor’s note, make sure to provide it to the school’s attendance clerk.

Is there a way to check my child’s attendance without calling the school?

Yes, via ParentVue.

How do I update my contact information at the school?

It is important for schools to have your most up to date contact information, especially in case of an emergency. When your phone number, email address, and/or address change, please update your contact information in ParentVue. If you need support, contact the school attendance clerk or secretary.

Why am I getting a call or letter from the district?

The school district issues two (2), five (5) and ten (10) day notices for unexcused absences to families in an effort to notify and assist families and their children struggling with attendance.

Why am I getting a call or a letter from the school?

The school staff want to provide personalized support by connecting with you directly.

Who at the school can I talk to about a 10-day notice I received about my child from the APS District Attendance/Truancy Prevention Office?

Contact the school administrator.

Who do I talk to about regarding a phone call I received about my child missing school?

Contact the school administrator.

Who can I talk to about the concerns I have about my child's attendance?

It is always best to begin with your child's teacher. You may also contact the attendance clerk or school counselor. The school principal is also available to help. If you need further support, the APS Service Center is also available to answer questions and handle concerns.