Pages: creating, editing, deleting
Pages are where you will be adding and editing the majority of the text on your site; pages can contain text, pictures, and links.
Note: You must be logged in to make any changes to your site. Find out how to log in >>
- Navigate to the folder you want to add a new page to, and then select Page from the Add New dropdown menu.
- Give your page a Title.
The title will appear at the top of the page and in the navigation. The title should be short, but describe the content of the page.
- Add a Summary. This is a place where you can provide a brief description of the content people will find on the page.
- Add text, images, and links in the Body Text field. This is the main section of the page. To add an image, place your mouse cursor where you want the image and click the Insert Image icon in the Toolbar. More about uploading and inserting images >>
- When you're done adding and editing content on your page, click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Your New Page Draft: What Next?
Once your new page draft has been created (see steps above), you can do one of the following:
- Submit your page to be published on your live site by clicking the State dropdown and selecting Submit for Approval (if you're a contributor) or Publish (if you're an approver). More about publishing to your live site >>
- If you're done editing your page, but aren't ready to publish it yet, you can leave it as a draft (the page name will display in red in the navigation, indicating it's still a draft) to come back to later.
- If you decide you no longer want your drafted page, you can delete it by selecting Delete from the Actions dropdown and clicking Delete on the next page.
- Click the Draft Changes above the title of the page you want to edit; this will create a copy of the live page for you to draft your edits on.
- To add or change text, click inside the large, white Body Text field. You also can copy and paste text from a web page or word processor.
- To add an image, place your mouse cursor where you want the image and click the Insert Image icon in the Toolbar.
- When you have finished editing, click the Save button at the bottom of your screen. This will keep you from losing your changes.
Your Drafted Changes: What Next?
Once you've saved the drafted changes to your page (see steps above), you can do one of the following:
- Submit your drafted changes to be approved and published publicly to your site (which will replace the page that's currently viewable to the public) by clicking on the item State and selecting Submit for Approval from the dropdown.
Note: If you are an Approver for your site, you can select Publish from the Status dropdown menu to immediately publish your page to the live site. More about publishing to your live site >>
- If you're done making changes to the draft, but aren't ready to publish them yet, you can save the page and leave it as a drafted copy (the page name will display in red in the navigation, indicating it's still a draft) to come back to later.
- If you decide you no longer want to make changes to the live page, you can cancel the draft you've created by selecting Delete This Draft from the item State dropdown and clicking the Cancel Checkout button on the next page.
- From the page, choose Rename from the Actions dropdown.
- In the New Short Name field, type the new name of your page in lower case with hyphens separating each word, like this: new-page-title
- In the New Title field, type the new page name as you'd like it to appear on the screen, like this: New Page Title
- Click Rename All.
Depending on the state of the page you want to delete (read more about item states), you have different options for deleting.
Deleting New Draft Pages
If you decide you no longer want the new page you've created:
- Select Delete from the Actions dropdown.
- On the next screen you will be prompted to confirm your choice. Click Delete to delete your new page draft, or click Cancel to keep the draft.
Deleting Drafted Changes to Live Pages
If you decide you no longer want to make changes to the live page:
- Select Delete This Draft from the item State dropdown.
- On the next screen you will be prompted to confirm your choice. Click the Cancel Checkout to delete the draft you created from the live page, or click Keep Checkout to keep working on your page.
Deleting Live Pages
To permanently delete pages that are published to your live website:
- From the page you want to delete, choose Submit for Deletion from the State dropdown.
- Your page will be submitted to the Web Team to be reviewed and deleted. You can see the item has been submitted by the Pending Deletion state status (read more about item states).
- You will be contacted by a member of the Web Team when your page is deleted, or with any questions they might have about your request.
Note: You can withdraw a submission for deletion by going to the page and choosing Undo Submit for Deletion from the State dropdown.
There are a number of style options you can use on your pages. Here are some of the more common styles available to you, which can be selected from the style dropdown.
(default style for text)
|Blue right column box|
|Clear right column box|
(similar to image captions)
The default style for the body text area of your page is set to create normal paragraphs, separated each time you hit Enter on your keyboard.
Here are the steps for applying other text styles to your content.
- Place your cursor where you want to type a header.
- Choose Heading from the style dropdown menu.
- Type the text of your header.
- Hit Enter to return to the Normal Paragraph style.
- Place your cursor where you want to type a subheader.
- Choose Subheading from the style dropdown menu.
- Type the text of your subheader.
- Hit Enter to return to the Normal Paragraph style.
Highlight boxes are designed to emphasize single sentences or paragraphs within your text.
- With your mouse cursor, select the text you want to place inside the highlight box.
- Choose Highlight Box from the style dropdown menu.
Right Column Box (Blue or Clear)
- Type the first line of the text you’d like to add to a right column box.
- Place your cursor at the end of the sentence, and select the Clear right column or Blue right column style from the style dropdown menu.
- Your text will be moved the right side of your page.
- To add additional text, hit Enter and continue typing.
Note: You can also add photos to right column boxes. When inserting the image, be sure to choose the right-column image size. More about inserting images to pages >>
- With your mouse cursor, select the text you want to make discreet.
- Choose Discreet from the style dropdown menu.