Informed Assessment for Differentiation in the Classroom
The mathematics educational experience is not working for far too many students. Add+Vantage Math Recovery responds to the need to meet high levels of accountability for all students to learn important mathematics. The theory and strategies from Math Recovery Early intervention are equally relevant and useful for classroom teachers.
Add+VantageMR empowers teachers to improve mathematics instruction by putting into practice new research in the areas of assessing, teaching and learning numbers.
Add+Vantage Math (AVM) Professional Development Courses
AVM courses provide classroom teachers with a developmental framework, diagnostic assessments, and tools for designing/differentiating instruction.
Professional Development for teachers:
- Undertaking a study of how children think about number and construct new number knowledge and arithmetical strategies.
- Research-based model for students learning
- Diagnostic Assessments (5 assessments)
- Lesson design, exemplary tasks and differentiation
- Teaching Number in the Classroom with 4-8 Year-Olds, Wright, et. al.
Professional Development Courses
Course 1 (4 days)
Theory, Assessment and Teaching
- Number words and numerals
- Structuring Numbers
- Addition & Subtraction
Course 2 (4 days, Course 1 is a prerequisite)
Extending the Framework: Theory, Assessment & Teaching for Advanced Topics
- Place Value
- Multiplication and Division
Support for Schools with teams of Add+Vantage Math trained teachers
- PD for ICs to develop their ability to support a shift in math instructional practices at their sites
- Follow-up sessions for teachers who want to continue to develop their understanding of how elementary-aged children learn to think mathematically
Support for Schools with a Math Intervention teacher
- PD for interventionists to support / develop appropriate math intervention instruction and pedagogy for K-5 students