Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
All About SnapChat
Learn about privacy risks of this popular app that lets kids share pictures and personal information.
SnapChat is a mobile application that allows you to "snap" a photo or a video from your mobile device, add a caption, and send it to a friend.
The sender determines how many seconds the recipient will have to view the video or photograph (between 1-10 seconds) before it will be hidden from the recipient's device and deleted from SnapChat's server. .
Facts about SnapChat
- About 400 million "snaps" (photos or videos) are sent per day,
- The average active SnapChat user receives an estimated 20-50 snaps per day,
- 50% of SnapChat users are between the ages of 13 - 17.
While many users think they are sending photos and videos between friends, SnapChat has had security problems.
- In Jan. 2014, 4.6 million SnapChat users had their usernames and personal info leaked onto the internet.
- Just last week, an estimated 98,000 SnapChat videos and photos were leaked onto the internet.