How to register your child for school
- Charter School Enrollment
- Enrolling after dropping out: Contact the to develop an educational plan
If your child has never attended an APS school before, you need to enroll him or her using the process outlined below.
Note: You do not have to re-enroll your students when they transition from elementary to middle school, or from middle school to high school — their current school will register them at their new school.
Contact your current school for more information.
Registration is held weekdays, when school is in session, at all elementary, middle, and high schools. Please call your school for more information.
Find out which school your child will attend >>
Here's how to enroll your child in classes at APS for the first time:
STEP 1: Meet Requirements for Enrollment
- Kindergarten: the student must be 5 years old by 12:01 a.m. on September 1
- First grade: the student must be 6 years old by 12:01 a.m. on September 1
- Preschool: Some students under 5 years old may be eligible to enroll in pre-kindergarten programs provided by APS or the City of Albuquerque.
Learn more about preschool and child development >>
If your child has not attended an APS school before, you will need the following documents to register:
- Child’s birth certificate
- Child’s vaccination records
- Proof of address (such as a current utility bill, mortgage, or lease agreement with your name and current address on it)
STEP 2: Identify Your Assigned School
Students are assigned to a school based on the address where they live. To find out what schools are in your attendance area:
If you want your child to attend a school other than the one you're assigned to, you can fill out a Transfer Request.
STEP 3: Contact Your School
School staff will verify the required documents listed in Step One and will provide you with any additional paperwork needed.