Installation, Care & Repair
Care of the Whiteboard
Do not use any type of markers on the whiteboard! This includes dry erase markers.
Other cleaning tips: Wipe down whiteboard with a damp cloth to remove smudges. If something more is needed, a small amount of liquid soap can be used on the cloth.
- DO NOT Use any cleaners that contain ammonia (most glass cleaners) .
- DO NOT Spray any kind of cleaner directly on the board itself.
- DO NOT Use any kind of abrasive cleaner (Softscrub or scouring power).
If a whiteboard has been marked, you can use Mr.Clean® Magic Eraser®
Five Hardware Things to Know
What are 5 things teachers should know about the whiteboard from a hardware perspective?
- The board only works when the projector & computer are both on
- Let your mouse talk to you – understand the image reflected by the mouse (i.e. select, move, not accessible)
- Learn to calibrate your board! (Look for the ActivManager icon in your Windows toolbar)
- What color is the flame on your board? White, red, purple or blue? White is good, red is a call for help, purple is a power surge and the power should be recycled, and flashing blue means the power brick may need replacing.
- You can’t hurt the board by pressing the pen too hard against it. It’s a very durable tool for the classroom.
Five Instructional Things to Know
What are 5 most things teachers should know about the whiteboard from an instructional perspective?
- An ActivBoard is not active unless the kids are at the board or using LRS devices
- A flipchart is not a presentation! It’s an active, engaging lesson that requires student input and involvement
- Find ways to use your board as one of your centers or small group activities. It does not have to be only a large group lesson
- Let your students teach you! Any teacher who is tentative or feeling intimidated by the technology should find 1-2 students in the class who are given the challenge to discover some ways the class can use the board and before long all the kids will be teaching the teacher. And, that’s ok!
- Create and use flipchart templates. Find activities that you do repeatedly in your classroom – a chapter study guide, morning number activities, lunch count, anything. Build (or find on Planet) a template that you can just edit the content and re-use. Don’t forget to “save as” the new filename.
Contact the APS Service Help Desk
You can contact the Help Desk with questions by phoning them at (505) 830-8080 or by logging into the APS Service Desk site with your username (your APS email prefix without the @aps.edu) and password.
When contacting the Help Desk, have the following information ready:
- Your name
- Your employee ID number
- Your department location number
6400 Uptown Blvd. NE
Suite 505 East
If you need to call the Promethean Help Desk (1.888.652.2848):
- You MUST have your computer connected to the whiteboard before you call.
- You MUST have the board serial number on hand (On a silver label on both sides on the back of the whiteboard.)