Provides support and resources for GLBTQ students and their families.
If you have any questions about Safe Zone, contact:
The APS Safe Zone is designed to support the creation of a safe environment for all students, especially GLBTQ students, by training Safe Zone staff members and providing them with resources..
GLBTQ students face many barriers that could prevent them from feeling safe within their school environments:
- Verbal and physical harassment
- Increased risk of alcohol, tobacco, and drug abuse
- Increased risk of suicidal thoughts or actions
- Increased attendance issues and drop-out rates
- Increased risk of homelessness
Need Resources? Click here for local and national organizations and contacts that are ready to help.
- PFLAG Albuquerque: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has an Albuquerque chapter dedicated to empowering lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and transsexual persons -- and those who love them -- through outreach, personal support, and education. (Contact PFLAG Albuquerque at 873-7373.)
- ACLU Youth & Schools Work: The ACLU Youth and Schools are working to make public schools safe and bias-free for LGBT students, defending their free speech in school, and working to help students start gay-straight alliance clubs.
- The Human Rights Campaign: HRC is the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network: GLSEN strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.