Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
Law Day Celebrated at Atrisco Heritage Academy on May 1
Students will learn about the impact redistricting has on communities.
April 30, 2012
Redistricting will be the focus of Law Day presentations and activities at Albuquerque Public Schools Atrisco Heritage Academy sponsored by the Hispanic National Bar Association and the New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday, May 1.
Law Day is an annual event focusing on the heritage of liberty under law. This year, in an effort to foster public understanding about the legal and court systems in the United States, the HNBA and NMHBA have planned several workshops and presentations with the high school students at the Atrisco Heritage Law Academy.
A state representative, attorneys and Law Day volunteers will provide students with an overview on redistricting, a re-enactment of oral arguments about redistricting from an actual case, and hands-on activities on redistricting.
Other events for the day include an introductory speech by the Honorable Jimmie Reyna, a judge with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and former president of the Hispanic National Bar Association; a proclamation by New Mexico Secretary of State Dianna Duran; a history lesson by Peter Romero, director of the Atrisco Heritage Foundation; and a scholarships and awards presentation to the first graduating class for Atrisco Heritage Academy.
The schedule for Law Day is as follows:
- 9:30-10 a.m.—Introductory speech by Judge Reyna
- 10-10:30 a.m.—Presentation by state Rep. Antonio “Moe” Maestas on redistricting, including how redistricting is conducted, why it’s important and how it can impact a community
- 10:30-11 a.m.—Re-enactment by attorneys David Urias and Erin O’Connel of mock oral arguments about restricting using facts from an actual case in Clovis, N.M.
- 11 a.m.-noon—Hands-on activity for students about redistricting led by attorney Roxie DeSantiago
- Noon-1 p.m.—Lunch
- 1-1:15 p.m.—Issuance of proclamation by Secretary of State Duran
- 1:15-1:30 p.m.—History of Atrisco Heritage Academy and its ties to the Atrisco Land Grant by Peter Romero
- 1:30-2 p.m.—Scholarships and presentation of awards.