Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
Highland's We the People Team Among Best in Nation
Highland had the smallest team, but they represented their school, district, city and state with grace, style, flair and efficacy.
The Highland High School We the People team placed 10th in the nation during a recent competition in Washington D.C. The state championship team made up of 11 seniors and six juniors competed against 61 other schools representing almost every state in the nation. Highland was the smallest team, and the only Title I school, to make it to the top 10.
"The students were excellent ambassadors not only for HHS, but for APS and the state of New Mexico as well," said sponsor Bob Coffey.
The students raised a significant amount of money in a very short time period to make the trip, receiving some financial support from the APS Foundation "for which we are very grateful," said Coffey.
"The odds were against us, but we represented our state, our city, and our school with grace, style, flair, and efficacy," said chaperone David Baldwin, a teacher at Highland. "The judges were highly complimentary and excited for our students. Every judge said that our students are needed sooner than later in government. They are our future."
Students also had an opportunity to meet with New Mexico Congresswoman Michelle Lujan-Grisham and Senator Martin Heinrich as well as consumer advocate Ralph Nader.
Coffey was congratulated for his diligence, expertise, motivation, and care of the team and program. "He was pretty much a one-man act," Baldwin said. "He deserves our thanks and felicitations."
We the People is a program that promotes teaching and learning about the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Highland team members include:
- Ethan Alley, who will be attending Harvard
- Ezra Baldwin, who will be attending New York University
- Dakson Byle, who will be attending UNM
- Giuseppe DeLeers-Certo, who will be attending the University of Washington
- Hannah Glasgow, who will be attending UNM
- Pilar Martinez, who will be attending UNM
- Morgan Roberts, who will be attending Emory University
- Alexandra Shomaker, who will be attending CNM
- Sahlea Tubbeth, who will be attending UNM
- Rosemary White, who will be attending UCLA
- Francisco Viramontes, who will be attending UNM
- Kathryn Cook
- Diana Garcia
- Brendan Heath
- Rachel Lentz
- Angelina Malagodi
- Gabriel Xucram