Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
Brave Deputy Featured Speaker for Selfless Seniors Event
BCSO Deputy Robin Hopkins, who was wounded in a shootout a few months ago, will be on hand to honor 27 compassionate high school students on March 27.
Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Deputy Robin Hopkins, whose gutty battle to overcome injuries sustained in the line of duty has inspired many in the city, will be the featured speaker at the APS Education Foundation’s 2014 Selfless Seniors event.
Selfless Seniors, which honors 27 APS seniors who have demonstrated a willingness to help others, is scheduled for Thursday, March 27, at 3:30 p.m. in the La Cueva High School gymnasium.
Hopkins and several other law enforcement officers were wounded in a shootout with a suspect in the North Valley on Oct. 26. She suffered gunshot wounds that have led to several surgeries, but she continues to work on her recovery with a positive spirit and wish to contribute to the community.
Hopkins, a former United State Marine, has served with BCSO in a variety of roles, including as a DARE officer and school resource officer at APS schools.
“In a lot of ways, Deputy Hopkins personifies what Selfless Seniors is about,” said APS Education Foundation Executive Director Phill Casaus. “Certainly, the events of last fall don’t define her – she was serving her community for years. But her will to overcome her injuries and remain upbeat say a lot about what we believe in public schools: It’s the ability to get up, move on and continue to contribute that makes a difference.”
More than 250 people are expected to attend Selfless Seniors, now in its seventh year. Among the highlights of the event are the presentation of personalized portraits created by noted Albuquerque photographer Frank Frost, who helped found the recognition. Other key sponsors include Hinkle Family Fun Center, Clear Channel Outdoor and Target.
This year’s honorees include:
- Atrisco Heritage Academy: Christopher Montalvo and Gabrielle Dao
- Albuquerque High: Brandon Gonzalez and Chantel Purcella
- Cibola: Jessie Tietgens and Rachel Ruckman
- Del Norte: Fayth Frankl and Mariah Garcia
- Eldorado: Montana Warner and Sarah King
- Highland: Hannah Glasgow and Rebecca Quintana
- La Cueva: Ben Petry and NamTram Pham
- Manzano: Juan Rivera and Maritza Juarez
- Rio Grande: Marlene Munoz and Ariel Otero
- Sandia: Emma Talbert and Iesha Hocker
- School on Wheels: Jacqueline Torivio
- Valley: Megan Tapia and Theresa Atencio
- Volcano Vista: Nicole Hensley and Ryan Meurer
- West Mesa: Javier Venzor and Jorge Salinas.