Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
Board of Ed Approves Redistricting Map with More West Side Representation
The APS Board of Education voted at its April 4 meeting to adopt a new voting map that creates two West Side board member districts completely west of the Rio Grande.
April 5, 2012
The APS Board of Education approved a redistricting map at its April 4 meeting that provides more representation for the West Side.
The new map creates two districts fully west of the Rio Grande. The previous map had only one district completely on the West Side.
A third district under the redistricting plan represents southwest Albuquerque, Downtown and Barelas.
The districts east of the river all shifted to account for the addition of the second West Side district. District 5, which once was east of the river and included Sandia High School, was moved to the West Side. District 6 absorbed Sandia High as well as representing Eldorado and Manzano high schools and the East Mountains.
Under the new board district map:
- District 1 represents Rio Grande and Atrisco Heritage Academy high schools
- District 2 represents Volcano Vista and Cibola high schools
- District 3 represents Valley and Albuquerque high schools
- District 4 represents Highland High School
- District 5 represents West Mesa High School
- District 6 represents Manzano, Sandia and Eldorado high schools and
- District 7 represents Del Norte, nex+gen and La Cueva High School.
Though these high schools are located within a district, many of their students may reside in neighboring districts.