APS Mannequin Challenge Promotes Support for Clothing Bank
Students and staff joined together to encourage donations of new socks, underwear and coats for students this winter.
Albuquerque Public Schools students and staff took part in the Mannequin Challenge recently to promote support for the APS Community Clothing Bank.
Superintendent Raquel Reedy joined high school students from across the district along with administrators, police officers, nurses, counselors, teachers and others in making the video in which they remain frozen in action like mannequins while a moving camera films them.
“Creating this video was fun, but it serves an important purpose,” said Phill Casaus, executive director of the APS Education Foundation which supports the Clothing Bank. “We know that many of our students are in need of coats as well as socks, underwear, scarves and other clothing items that will keep them warm and comfortable this winter.”
The Clothing Bank serves more than 3,000 students each school year, providing them with new socks and underwear, gently used jackets and coats and vouchers for up to nine outfits and a new pair of shoes.
The students come in all sizes, ages and parts of town. And for many of them, the assistance provided by the Clothing Bank – and those who support it through donations of clothing and cash – makes the difference between school success or struggle.
Students are referred by counselors, teachers, school administrators and family members. They can even ask for help themselves.
The APS Community Clothing Bank partners with Goodwill Industries of New Mexico to provide more choices for many more students. The students receive vouchers for three outfits they can pick out at any Goodwill Industries store in Albuquerque. An outfit consists of pants and shirt or a dress.
And, they can repeat this process three times a year.
For more information, contact Elizabeth Calhoon at 248-1873 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donations of new and gently used clothing can be dropped off at bins located at
- The APS Community Clothing Bank
1130 Cardenas Drive SE
- The APS administration building (City Centre)
6400 Uptown Blvd. NE
- Cash and checks for the Clothing Bank may be made to the APS Education Foundation by
- Sending donations to P.O. Box 25704, Albuquerque, 87125. Make checks payable to the APS Education Foundation and designated to the APS Community Clothing Bank.
- Bringing donations to the Foundation’s office at 6400 Uptown NE, Suite 630E
- Donating online at www.apseducationfoundation.org. All monetary donations will be used to pay for new socks, shoes and undergarments given to students.
Those interested in volunteering for the Clothing Bank can contact Elizabeth Calhoon at 248-1873 or Elizabeth.email@example.com.