- School and district forms that parents need to complete, read, respond to, etc.
- Important school and district information through letters, newsletters, announcements, etc.
- School and district handbooks for parents.
- Any other type of documents that district or school personnel consider essential and vital for parents.
We DO NOT translate:
- Copyrighted material
- Documents or portions of documents obtained from magazines, websites, newspapers or other organizations
- Instructional materials (tests, homework, units of study, quizzes, etc.) for students or classroom use
- Documents from IEP, FBA, BIP SAT meetings or EDT reports
- Poetry, song lyrics
Helpful hints when requesting a translation
- DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE IN MICROSOFT WORD OR PUBLISHER. OTHER PROGRAMS MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED OR MAY CAUSE DELAYS.
- Providing a document that is clear and has been proofread prior to submission will facilitate the job of the translator. If there are ambiguities or errors, our office will contact you for clarification which may delay the translation.
- Submit ONLY FINAL DOCUMENTS. We will not translate drafts.
- Avoid creating newsletters using "text boxes" since they frequently move, hide or overlap thus preventing some of the text to be visible.
- Attach the document as an attachment instead of pasting it on the message.
- If submitting a document that was previously translated please highlight the updates in yellow throughout the document and send it along with the original Spanish translation (if available).
- Whenever possible avoid the use of technical vocabulary and acronyms that may not be understood by people outside the educational field or who may not be familiar with the American educational system.
Download Common APS Documents
- You can look at the English version first to decide if that is indeed the document you need. Once you open a document in a foreign language, it is unlikely you will be able to tell whether it is what you wanted.
- As a rule of thumb, print both copies (the English and the other language) and ask parents to fill out the English copy, using the copy in the other language as a reference. If parents fill out a form in Vietnamese, for instance, district or school personnel will not be able to read it.
- If you do not find a translation of the document you need, please email it to us to have it translated. Please download the Translation Request Form.
APS English-Spanish Glossary of Educational Terms
Our office has compiled a glossary of words and phrases that are used in district documents, as well as in school or district meetings and other functions. This is not an exhaustive list, but rather a work in progress that is updated and expanded on a regular basis. In some instances more than one option is given, while in other cases what is offered is more an explanation than a true equivalent. For example, "truancy" has been translated as faltar sin autorización o justificación; ausentismo escolar injustificado. We welcome your suggestions of terms to incorporate in the glossary.