Interpreters for Parent-Teacher Conferences
Due to high demand for Parent Teacher Conferences (PTC), our office will not schedule any other type of meeting (e.g. IEP, EDT, SAT, FBA etc.) on days specifically designated by the district for PTC. Also, we do not have the resources to send multiple interpreters for conferences scheduled at the same time and to the same location. Following are some guidelines to help ensure you get an interpreter during these high volume days:
- Please schedule conferences for the same languages consecutively as much as possible.
- Please have multiple teachers schedule their conferences in blocks of time so that one interpreter can cover the conferences one right after the other.
- Please keep in mind that a conference that takes 15 or 20 minutes under normal circumstances will take longer with an interpreter. Either the content of the conference should be modified to complete it in the time allotted, or the allotted time should be extended.
- Please, if possible, have one staff member schedule conferences for the school. Having one point of contact for a school facilitates rescheduling and communication regarding scheduling.
- To avoid no shows, please call Spanish speaking families a few days prior the scheduled PTC to ensure attendance. Our office will call parents for languages other than Spanish to confirm attendance.
- Please provide a complete schedule of conferences when submitting your request. We realize that scheduling takes a lot of coordination among teachers, but having available a complete schedule will allow us to provide the best service possible. Without the schedule, our office will not confirm an interpreter for any specific block.
Confirm Meetings with Parents
In order to minimize or even eliminate the number of no shows, we ask that parents be confirmed a day or two before the scheduled appointment.
- For meetings requiring a Spanish interpreter we ask the schools to call the parents before the meetings.
- For languages other than Spanish, such as Vietnamese, Arabic, Chinese, etc., please provide our office with contact information for the family on the request form and our office will call the family to confirm attendance.
If a parent will not attend his/her scheduled meeting, please call or email the Translation Services office (email@example.com or 881-9429 ext. 80070) to cancel.