First Year Teacher Mentoring Program
This focus of this program is to support and assist first-year teachers in becoming familiar with the responsibilities of being a teacher by providing every first-year teacher with a mentor.
The program uses and integrated, collaborative approach that encourages teacher development through support activities including:
- Curriculum alignment
In addition to these activities, the program also provides help with:
- Student assessment
- Instructional conferences
- Instructional resource development
Each school has a literacy leader to assist new teachers by modeling research-based literacy strategies and by providing resources for core reading implementation, such as:
- Lesson plans
- Professional books
- Online sites
- Student worksheets
Instructional Coach Program
Schools employ instructional coaches to:
- Provide on-site support in the classroom with behavior management issues
- Provide resources and materials which are essential to instruction
- Establish a "buddy" at the school site to help new teachers build relationships
- Provide training before the school year for an overview of reading and math programs
- Provide information on district processes and policies pertaining to their assigned school
Collaborative Learning Communities (CLC)
A CLC is a group of professional peers who set norms of trust and value and use standard procedures called protocols to improve teacher practice and student learning. It is a place to examine student work together and grow from conversations. All teachers are encouraged to be involved.
Teaching and Learning Systems (TLS)
Teaching and Learning systems is committed to the implementation of a standards-based system of education by providing leadership, professional development, resources, and technical assistance for district personnel in accordance with research and regulation.
Teaching and Learning Systems provides course offerings year-round in areas such as:
- Content and curriculum
- Effective teaching practices
- Standards-based instruction
- Student needs
- Teacher support
Library and Instructional Materials Services
Library Services serves APS students and staff in all aspects of library management and information literacy.
Library Services maintains school and district libraries with:
- Book and media collections
- Information technology
- Instructional programs
- Research databases
- Library facilities
The library catalog can be accessed by going to the Library Services website.
The APS Graphics Center has a teacher resource room and store designed to support teachers and other employees in preparing materials for classroom and training sessions.