Sick Leave Bank
To be eligible for an APS extended medical leave of absence, an employee must have worked for APS a minimum of one contract year immediately prior to the Leave start date. To receive Sick Leave Bank benefits, an employee must both be eligible for an extended medical leave and Sick Leave Bank benefits.
Timing is Important!
Application for benefits from the Sick Leave Bank must be made in a timely manner prior to exhaustion of available leave in order to ensure no interruption of pay.
Sick Leave Bank Specialist
6400 Uptown Blvd NE
Suite 210 East
P.O. Box 25704
Albuquerque, NM 87125-0704
APS, ATF, AEAA, and ASCA recognize the need for an available pool of sick leave days upon which eligible employees, having experienced catastrophic illnesses or injuries, may draw upon to alleviate great financial hardship. To this end, we have established a self-funded Sick Leave Bank (SLB).
The SLB’s purpose is to provide sick leave coverage to those employees intending to return to work upon recovery from their illness or injury.
The Sick Leave Bank (SLB) is available to employees covered by the negotiated agreements for the:
- Albuquerque Teachers Federation (refer to for more information)
- Albuquerque Educational Assistants Association (refer to for more information)
- Albuquerque Secretarial/Clerical Association (refer to for more information)
Respective negotiated agreements provide this benefit to participants who are experiencing a catastrophic illness or injury and who will exhaust all accrued leave (personal, sick, annual).
Employees must be eligible for a Leave of Absence before being eligible for compensation benefits from the Sick Leave Bank. Required criteria for an approved Leave of Absence plus Sick Leave Bank compensation benefits:
- Have worked for Albuquerque Public Schools for at least 12 months
- Be covered under the respective negotiated agreement contract
- Be a paying member of the Sick Leave Bank for greater than 90 days
- Have a Sick Leave Bank Review Committee approved claim
- Have a claim for greater than 10 days
Administrative employees may elect to participate in the Administrator's Sick Leave Bank. Learn more