Sick Leave Bank
Employees must be eligible for a Leave of Absence before being eligible for compensation from the Sick Leave Bank. Employees must have worked for APS at least one contract year immediately prior to the leave start date to be eligible for a Leave of Absence.
Timing is Important!
Application for benefits from the Sick Leave Bank must be made in a timely manner prior to exhaustion of available leave in order to ensure no interruption of pay.
Sick Leave Bank Specialist
6400 Uptown Blvd NE
Suite 210 East
P.O. Box 25704
Albuquerque, NM 87125-0704
APS, ATF, AEAA, and ASCA recognize the need for an available pool of sick leave days upon which eligible employees, having experienced catastrophic illnesses or injuries, may draw upon to alleviate great financial hardship. To this end, we have established a self-funded Sick Leave Bank (SLB).
The SLB’s purpose is to provide sick leave coverage to those employees intending to return to work upon recovery from their illness or injury.
The Sick Leave Bank (SLB) is available to employees covered by the negotiated agreements for the:
- Albuquerque Teachers Federation (refer to for more information)
- Albuquerque Educational Assistants Association (refer to for more information)
- Albuquerque Secretarial/Clerical Association (refer to for more information)
Respective negotiated agreements provide this benefit to participants who are experiencing a catastrophic illness or injury and who will exhaust all accrued leave (personal, sick, annual).
Employees must be eligible for a Leave of Absence before being eligible for compensation benefits from the Sick Leave Bank. Required criteria for an approved Leave of Absence plus Sick Leave Bank compensation benefits:
- Have worked for Albuquerque Public Schools for at least 12 months prior to the Leave start date and
- Be covered under the respective negotiated agreement contract and
- Be a paying member of the Sick Leave Bank for greater than 90 days and
- Have a Sick Leave Bank Review Committee approved claim and
- Request for Leave must be greater than ten (10 days)
Administrative employees may elect to participate in the Administrator's Sick Leave Bank. Learn more >>