Qualifying Exigency (FMLA)
Qualifying Exigency Procedures and Forms
- Your Rights Under FMLA
- Extended Leave Information
- Form A
- FMLA Form WH-384 Qualifying Exigency
- FMLA Usage Tracking Spreadsheet
These leaves are applied for and approved in the Human Resources Leaves Office, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE, Suite 210.
All paperwork must be original. No third party faxes.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will be granted to employees:
- Who work for a covered employer (APS is a covered employer) and
- Who have worked for APS for at least twelve (12) months and
- Who have worked at least 1250 hours or the equivalent of a full work year in the previous 12 months.
- FMLA is limited to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per rolling calendar year.
Eligible employees may take FMLA leave while the employee's spouse, son, daughter, or parent (the "covered military member") is on active duty or call to active duty status as defined in Sec. 825.126(b)(2) for one or more of the following qualifying exigencies:
1. Short-notice deployment (i.e., deployment on seven or less days of notice)
2. Military events and related activities
3. Childcare and school activities
4. Financial and legal arrangements
6. Rest and recuperation (Up to 5 days)
7. Post-deployment activities
Extended Leaves Policy
All leaves of ten (10) consecutive work days or less must be requested through and approved by the employee’s principal or supervisor.
Extended leave of more than ten (10) consecutive days, with or without pay, must be requested through the Human Resources Leaves Office. Employees must complete the required Leave Forms and receive the necessary approval before the leave requested may be taken.
When an employee becomes ill or is injured on the job, sick leave begins at the time of inability to continue work, to the nearest half-hour. An employee, who is already on annual leave, personal leave or leave without pay, including parental leave, may not be eligible to use sick leave benefits.
While on an approved leave, an employee:
- May not volunteer or perform any duties for the APS District
- May not utilize APS property for personal use
- Must return all APS equipment (keys, laptop, etc.) prior to the Leave start date