Applying for Political Leave
All paperwork must be original. No third party faxes.
Political Leave may be granted to employees:
1. Where time spent in a campaign for the purpose of securing a political office will interfere with the duties of an employee, a leave of absence shall be requested in writing by the employee/candidate. Such leave shall be leave without pay. The District shall give written answer to such request for leave. This leave of absence shall be arranged for a definite period of campaigning. At the conclusion of the leave, the employee shall be returned to the former position held immediately prior to the granting of the leave and shall have all benefits accrued as if actively employed.
2. Leave of absence with pay and with accrued benefits shall be granted for contracted work days to employees who are elected or appointed to the New Mexico State Legislature. The employee/office holder shall request in writing a leave within the framework of this policy and shall receive a written response defining the terms of the leave. Employees elected to the New Mexico State Legislature shall be limited to the number of days for the regular annual session and any special sessions plus ten (10) additional days for official legislative duties. The employee shall maintain the position in the school system normally held when not serving in political office. The district shall alert families of students assigned to teachers who plan to take political leave during the course of the school year so families may request an alternative teacher for their student.
3. Leave of absence with pay shall be granted to employees who are elected or duly appointed to public office of a state or local government agency. The number of days granted to employees under this paragraph shall be determined by the superintendent. The employee/office holder shall request in writing a leave within the framework of this policy and shall receive a written response defining the terms of the leave. The response shall include reinstatement upon termination of the leave and, where applicable, all benefits accrued as if the employee were actively employed.
4. Application for such leave shall be made to the superintendent, the employee’s direct supervisor and the Human Resources Extended Leave Office.
Extended Leaves Policy
All leaves of ten (10) consecutive work days or less must be requested through and approved by the employee’s principal or supervisor.
Extended leave of more than ten (10) consecutive days, with or without pay, must be requested through the Human Resources Leaves Office. Employees must complete the required Leave Forms and receive the necessary approval before the leave requested may be taken.
When an employee becomes ill or is injured on the job, sick leave begins at the time of inability to continue work, to the nearest half-hour. An employee, who is already on annual leave, personal leave or leave without pay, including parental leave, may not be eligible to use sick leave benefits.
While on an approved leave, an employee:
- May not volunteer or perform any duties for the APS District
- May not utilize APS property for personal use
- Must turn in all APS property (keys, laptop, etc.,) prior to the start date of the leave