Parental (Non-Birth) Leave
FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT (FMLA)
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will be granted to employees who:
- Work for a covered employer (APS is a covered employer.)
- Have worked for APS for at least twelve (12) months and
- Who have worked at least 1250 hours in the 12 months before you take the leave
- FMLA is limited to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per rolling calendar year.
- APS does not support intermittent or reduced schedule leave to care or bond with a healthy child under the parental, adoption or foster care categories.
APS PARENTAL LEAVE
To be eligible for an APS Parental Leave of Absence, an employee must have worked for APS a minimum of one contract year immediately prior to the leave start date.
SUBSTITUTION OF PAID LEAVE
Time off for bonding with a child who has recently joined the household shall be charged to sick leave for up to 30 days provided there is available sick time to cover the 30 days. A maximum of 30 days of available paid sick leave shall be permitted. Use of compensatory time is not allowed. Available absence balances will be used in this order: sick leave, personal days, and annual leave. Once such benefits are exhausted, the leave shall be without pay.
An employee adopting a child shall be entitled to a leave commencing when custody occurs, or prior to receiving custody, in order to fulfill the requirement of adoption.
See: The Process: Applying for Parental (Non-Birth) Leave for more information.