3315 Louisiana NE
Albuquerque 87110 Map
Welcome to the Albuquerque Public Schools Fine Arts Program!
We provide a comprehensive program of fine arts education, K – 12, designed to make a significant contribution to student learning and personal growth.
In our 89 elementary schools, we:
- Provide direct instruction in music and visual arts to all students.
- Hire, supervise, and provide professional development for certified art and music teachers.
- Provide consumable supplies and equipment for arts instruction at no cost to schools.
- Provide professional development for classroom teachers.
- Work with community groups to coordinate annual district-wide arts events, including NM Symphony Orchestra concerts & programs; Santa Fe Opera Apprentice Tour Performances; Popejoy Hall Schooltime Series; UNM Music Prep School & many others.
- Coordinate “Art is Elementary,” the annual district exhibit of elementary art; the annual fourth and fifth grade elementary Honor Choir concerts; and the APS art exhibit at the NM State Fair.
- Provide advocacy at the local and state levels for the advancement of arts education.
In our 27 middle schools and 13 high schools, we:
- Work with Human Resources to staff band, chorus and orchestra positions.
- Fund bus transportation for high school bands to perform at home football games.
- Coordinate and review bids for replacement of worn and non-repairable school instruments.
- Coordinate or assist with district music, art, photography and drama festivals.
Throughout the district, we:
- Oversee the ARTS Center, a library of arts-related resources and a professional development resource for any APS staff member in the areas of art, music, dance, drama, and literature.
- Oversee the Music Instrument Repair Department technicians, who repair and maintain all music instruments for middle school and high school music programs.
- Produce FAN Fare, the Fine Arts program quarterly newsletter.
Fine Arts News
Middle schools’ beginning orchestras, Elementary Honor Choir perform Saturday
March 1, 2013
Artwork in the new display case at the Bruce and Alice King Educational Complex (City Centre) will rotate throughout the school year.
February 28, 2012
December 12, 2011