Note: This event occurred in the past. Browse for upcoming events.
2016 Selfless Seniors
from 03:30 PM to 05:00 PM
|Where||Sandia Events Center, 30 Rainbow Road NE|
|Add event to calendar||
The APS Education Foundation’s Selfless Seniors event features 29 of the best kids in Albuquerque, and excellence will take center stage Thursday, March 17 at 3:30 p.m. at the Sandia Events Center, 30 Rainbow Road NE.
Selfless Seniors, now in its ninth year, celebrates everyday APS students who’ve given of themselves at home, in their schools or with the community at large.
“The kids who have been named Selfless Seniors really epitomize the heart and soul of our schools,” said Foundation Executive Director Phill Casaus. “People talk about the World War II generation as `The Greatest Generation.’ I think the kids of this era are our next Greatest Generation, and when you see what they do for others, you can see why.”
Nicole Chavez, whose son, Jaydon Chavez-Silver was killed in a drive-by shooting last summer, will be the featured speaker. Chavez-Silver was a member of Manzano High School’s class of 2016 and was a volunteer in a variety of community projects.
“Jaydon was the kind of kid who would’ve been nominated to be a Selfless Senior, and we’re very proud to have Nicole speak to this group,” Casaus said.
Noted Albuquerque photographer Frank Frost is the founding sponsor of the event and donates a beautiful portrait to each of the seniors. The University of Phoenix is the presenting sponsor. The Albuquerque International Sunport, Hinkle Family Fun Center, Clear Channel Outdoor and Xerox also are sponsors of the event.
This year’s Selfless Seniors are:
- Albuquerque High – Rafael Colon and Kristin Crocker
- Atrisco Heritage Academy – Daniel Torres and Myrella Gonzalez
- Cibola – Kelly Angus
- Del Norte – Xena Gurule and Mia Edwards
- Eldorado – Caylee Guess and Katelyn Clark
- Highland – Ramon Alderete, Roman Velazquez and Kateri Daw
- La Cueva – Lauren Ostermann and Hailey Barlow
- Manzano – Kaianna O’Neal and Ashley Munoz
- Rio Grande – Josue Nava and Alma Lozano
- Sandia – Ryan Nunez and Sarah Martinez
- Valley – Alyssa Meyer and David Dominguez
- Volcano Vista – Quinn Steffensen, Tori Elliott and Miracle Luster
- West Mesa – Nicole Castellano and Alondra Maldonado
- Schools of Choice/APS Charters – Melody Konior, Public Academy for the Performing Arts; Wyatt Strader, DATA