7th Annual Selfless Seniors Recognizes 27 Students
More than 120 APS high school seniors were nominated for the program that recognizes students who give back to their community.
December 3, 2013
Twenty-seven of the most giving high school seniors in Albuquerque Public Schools have been named as the 2014 Selfless Seniors.
More than 120 seniors from throughout Albuquerque were nominated by members of the community, teachers, administrators and family members, and a committee of community members made the selections based on those nominations.
The seventh annual Selfless Seniors ceremony will take place in the spring of 2014. The event is sponsored by Albuquerque photographer Frank Frost, who donates his time and skill to create beautiful portraits of each student. Those photos hang on the walls of the district’s high schools, at community businesses and also at the Albuquerque International Sunport.
“I think it’s safe to say that this was the deepest, most competitive set of nominees in Selfless Seniors history,” said APS Education Foundation Executive Director Phill Casaus. “We had several schools nominate more than 10 seniors, and when you read these nominations, you’re stunned by how giving our students really are.”
This year’s honorees include:
- Atrisco Heritage Academy: Christopher Montalvo and Gabrielle Dao
- Albuquerque High: Brandon Gonzalez and Chantel Purcella
- Cibola: Jessie Tietgens and Rachel Ruckman
- Del Norte: Fayth Frankl and Mariah Garcia
- Eldorado: Montana Warner and Sarah King
- Highland: Hannah Glasgow and Rebecca Quintana
- La Cueva: Ben Petry and NamTran Pham
- Manzano: Juan Rivera and Maritza Juarez
- Rio Grande: Marlene Munoz and Ariel Otero
- Sandia: Emma Talbert and Iesha Hocker
- School on Wheels: Jacqueline Torivio
- Valley: Megan Tapia and Theresa Atencio
- Volcano Vista: Nicole Hensley and Ryan Meurer
- West Mesa: Javier Venzor and Jorge Salinas.