What We're Doing
Here's just a quick, top 10 list of what's happening at the APS Education Foundation
- Dewey and Associates recently ranked the Albuquerque Public Schools Education Foundation as the No. 8 school foundation in the country. It's the highest ranking the Foundation has received in its history.
- The Foundation has raised more than $800,000 in cash, in-kind donations and pledges for the Horizon Campaign – a push to energize private funding for Fine Arts, Middle/High School Activities, Classroom Teacher Mini-Grants and Literacy programs within the district. Major community players and APS employees through the United Way campaign have led this effort, the first of its kind in Foundation history.
- The Foundation launched A is for Art!, a benefit art auction that raised tens of thousands in cash and in-kind donations for APS Fine Arts. The 2012 A is for Art! celebration is scheduled for Sept. 28 at the Albuquerque Museum. Noted New Mexico artist Edward Gonzales is our featured artist.
- The Foundation's Horizon Awards, a competitive grant program available to classrooms in Fine Arts, Literacy, Middle/High School Activities and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) have distributed more than $220,000 since their inception in 2010.
- With the help of Technology Integration Group, the Foundation has established the Innovation Awards -- a $2,500 award to an APS teacher who maximizes the use and the effect of technology in the classroom. The monthly award includes a $100 check to the teacher and the ability to purchase $2,500 in technology software or training.
- With the help of Pepsi, the Foundation instituted the APS teacher-of-the-month award, which honors fine teachers at elementary, middle and high schools. Another key partner, New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union, sponsors a the Student of the Week campaign, in which some of Albuquerque's top kids are recognized weekly in the Albuquerque Journal.
- The Foundation has partnered with Clear Channel to place electronic billboards at Manzano, Eldorado, Del Norte and Cibola high schools, with district-wide and Foundation messaging possible with the flip of a switch.
- Thanks to committed APS employees, the Foundation-run United Way campaign continues to be a key part of our outreach. Donations directed to the Foundation are earmarked for Horizon Awards.
- Thanks to RayLee Homes: A New Generation, the first-ever Apple House was built. Proceeds from the sale of this beautiful home on Albuquerque's West Side will help fund Foundation projects through the Horizon Campaign.
- The Foundation is the recipient of the first-ever Superintendent's Cup fundraiser golf tournament, scheduled for Aug. 1, 2012. APS employees, leadership members, vendors and community members will be at the UNM Championship Course for a day of fun and golf.