Volunteer with APS
Our community is very fortunate to have thousands of citizens who are dedicated to supporting both our students and our schools. Each day, volunteers display selfless acts of service to assure that all Albuquerque Public School students receive a quality education in a safe and secure learning environment. We are very proud of our commitment to quality education and your personal interest and desire to help is welcomed and appreciated. Youth are our most important natural resource and their education will form the foundation of the future.
We value family and community engagement in school activities and believe that volunteer involvement can have a positive impact on a child’s education. The goals of a school volunteer program are to:
- Increase family engagement in public education
- Encourage schools to use other pools of volunteers including students, senior citizens, service clubs and businesses
- Provide assistance to classroom teachers and other educators
- Improve communication between the schools and the communities they serve.
Think about how happy you are when you're doing what you love. Now, imagine sharing that passion with others. What better feeling is there? Whether you are a student seeking community service opportunities, a family member seeking to become more involved in the education of your children, a retired or senior citizen seeking an outlet for your talents, experiences, and skills, or a corporation wishing to give your employees greater opportunity to be involved in their community, the Volunteer Services program has the answer to your needs.
Make a Difference
Each school has varying needs; volunteers act as tutors/mentors and provide assistance to schools in many ways, including:
- Advocacy/Advisory - serving on committees or task forces; advising on special projects; consulting on certain issues.
- Instructional Support - curriculum and classroom-related activities; motivational programs; materials and program development; enrichment programs.
- Support Services - cafeteria, health, clerical, instructional materials, and audiovisual services.
While encouraging parent participation, we must also consider the safety of every child in the district by requiring a background check from volunteers prior to any volunteer activity at any APS school.
The background check will be conducted based on information obtained within the online application and takes 3-5 business days to process. Clearance decisions make take longer for those in which any instance is revealed on the background check.
The APS volunteer application is for all APS schools excluding APS and state chartered schools. All charter (APS and state chartered) school volunteers should inquire about volunteer opportunities directly with their charter school.
APS background checks are valid for 2 years.
The following information has been developed to help make your experience as valuable as possible. Please review it before you volunteer at a school.