State Assessment Guidance for ELL Students
First Year in U.S. Schools
- This option available to only first year in the United States students.
- These students have a language exemption in Reading.
- Language-proficiency test (W-APT) and WIDA ACCESS substitutes for participation in Reading.
- These students must still test in writing, math and other subjects.
- Scores DO NOT count towards school grades.
First 3 years attending school in the United States
- Students must participate in English or Spanish language versions of assessments, with or without accommodations
- Student may take assessments in Spanish:
- PARCC Math
- SBA Science
- SBA Spanish Language Arts (in lieu of PARCC ELA)
- End of Course exams
- Exception Reading End of Course exam
3 or more years attending school in the United States
- Students must participate in English language versions of assessment, with or without accommodations.
- A waiver is available for up to two additional years to continue testing a student in his or her home language. (4th & 5th Years in U.S. Schools)
- A waiver is only good for one year. A waiver must be resubmitted for a maximum of 2 submissions per student.
- A waiver must be submitted to APS Testing and the district must submit all waivers to NM PED by specified date.
High School English Language Learner Students
- Students in 9th grade who qualify for the Spanish Language Arts (SLA) test do not have to take PARCC ELA assessment. (SLA is only for 10- 11 graders)
- Students in 9th – 11th grade who speak languages other than Spanish, have to take PARCC ELA assessments with appropriate accommodations.