News from the Superintendent
Thank Goodness for Spring Break
Superintendent Reedy's weekly message to employees
The weather has been beautiful. Or so I hear. Too often lately I go straight from my car to the office to home without taking the time to appreciate the sunshine, the spring blooms, the blue sky. Things have been hectic.
Thank goodness for spring break!
We’ve all been working so hard in Albuquerque Public Schools. The students are learning, the teachers are teaching and staff is providing tremendous support. It’s been a stressful, worrisome year. A lot of changes and so many unknowns. Yet, we persist. We do so because we know what’s at stake – the future of the children and the community we serve.
I appreciate your effort and your dedication. I really do.
Things are about to get busier. This time of year is chock-full of activity – testing, projects, field trips, concerts, games and meets, graduation, planning for next year. Whew!
So, get some rest during this well-deserved break, and even if you’re working over the next few days, I hope you find time to enjoy the sunshine, the spring blooms and the incomparable blue skies of New Mexico.
- Thank Goodness for Spring Break "I hope you find time to enjoy the sunshine, the spring blooms and the incomparable blue skies of New Mexico." -- Supt. Reedy
- Words Matter "When it comes to our students, we need to think twice about what we say -- and post and tweet," Supt. Reedy wrote in her weekly message.
- Supt. Reedy Shares Her Story with Comcast The superintendent talks about her career and the importance of special education.
- Fine Arts In her weekly message, Supt. Reedy recognizes fine arts education.
- Dreams In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy talks about the dream wall at Kennedy MS and how it applies to all APS students.
- Spectrum of Learning In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy describes a program that connects high schoolers with neighboring elementary school students.
- Supt. Reedy Thanks Outgoing Board Members, Welcomes New Ones In her weekly message to employees, Superintendent Raquel Reedy appreciates the dedication of past, current and future members of the APS Board of Education.
- Why We're Still Building Schools Supt. Reedy explains why APS is breaking ground on new schools and renovating others during a budget crisis.
- The Numbers that Matter Most In her weekly message to employees, Superintendent Reedy addresses the budget crisis.
- Five Priorities and Feeder School Communities In her weekly message to employees, Superintendent Reedy outlines her plan for making APS into a premier district.
- Handle with Care Supt. Reedy shares information on a program designed to assist students in crisis.
- School Delays and Closures A message to employees from Superintendent Raquel Reedy
- APS Board of Education Extends Superintendent’s Contract Raquel Reedy’s contract was extended a year to June 2019.
- District Faces Budget Cuts In her weekly message to employees, Superintendent Reedy discusses how APS is addressing a decrease in state revenue.
- Supt. Reedy's Holiday Message to Employees "I look forward to seeing you back in 2017, reinvigorated and ready to tackle the work that lies ahead."
- Supt. Reedy Recognizes School Nurses, Health Assistants In her weekly message to employees, the superintendent thanks nurses for helping to keep students healthy.
- Superintendent addresses district grade In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy explains the district grade assigned by the state.
- Superintendent Counts Blessings This Holiday Season Supt. reedy also encourages the APS community to take part in #Nov38 Do Something Great campaign celebrating acts of kindness.
- Special Supt. Reedy recognizes those in the APS family who work with students with disabilities.
- Kindness Supt. Reedy encourages the APS community to shake off the negative presidential campaign by joining the ABQKindness initiative.
- Helen Fox In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy recognizes longtime advocate for homeless students Helen Fox and others who improving the lives of students.
- Choice Fair Superintendent Raquel Reedy extends an invitation to the annual APS School Choice Fair.
- United Way In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy asks them to consider giving to the United Way.
- Hitting it out of the park Supt. Reedy went to one of the district's most successful schools to find out what they're doing right.
- Believe you can and will Supt. Reedy takes part in Del Norte High's Finish in Four commitment ceremony in which freshmen sign pledges to graduate with their classmates.
- STEM, STEAM, STEALTH In her weekly message, Supt. Reedy writes about efforts across the district to get students excited about science, technology, engineering and math as well art, literacy, transformation and health.
- So much more Read Supt. Reedy's tribute to APS employees who strive to make student lives better.
- A message on school grades from Supt. Reedy The state Public Education Department released the grades on Wednesday, Aug. 24.
- Appreciation Supt. Reedy thanks staff for a great start to the school year.
- You are not alone In her weekly message to employees, Supt. Reedy reminds staff of the many resources available to them.
- Welcome back teachers and school staff! Read Superintendent Reedy's back-to-school message to employees.
- Supt Names New Members to Admin Team Superintendent Raquel Reedy has filled several top administrative positions.
- 25 Things You Didn't Know About Supt. Reedy APS Superintendent Raquel Reedy answered the questions for the June issue of Albuquerque the Magazine.
- Happy Summer!
- Transitions "As we celebrate the end of this school year, let’s work on drumming up excitement for next year, too," Supt. Reedy tells employees in her weekly message.
- Remembering when grads were kindergarteners Supt. Reedy was an elementary school principal during those first days of school for the Class of 2016.
- Contacting Space Supt. Reedy joined APS students for a conversation with the astronauts aboard the International Space Station.
- CCHS & Other APS Gems Supt. Reedy attended her first commencement as superintendent last weekend for College & Career High School.
- Supt. Reedy Embraces Opportunity to Serve "I thank the Board of Education for this opportunity. It is one I embrace because I really do believe we make a difference in the lives of the children we educate," Supt. Reedy wrote in a letter to employees.
- Educators Help Map Out the District's Future Supt. Reedy talks about how educators are helping develop the district's Academic Master Plan in her weekly message to employees.
- Good Things Are Happening! Supt. Reedy gives a shout out to a few of the many individuals and groups in APS earning honors, recognition and awards.
- Self-Examination of District Offices The superintendent has asked supervisors to provide a clear, concise picture of the work being done in their departments.
- Supt. Reedy Recognizes EAs The superintendent, whose mother was an educational assistant, thanks the nearly 2,000 APS EAs who work with students on a daily basis.
- Supt. Reedy's Budget Message "Please know my commitment is to try to keep cuts away from the classroom. Students must come first."
- A Tribute to Our Custodians Supt. Reedy recognizes two custodians who represent the many who make a difference in the lives of those they serve.
- Supt. Sings Praises of Those Who Go Above & Beyond In her weekly message to employees, Superintendent Raquel Reedy congratulates National Board Certified Teachers and others like them who put in extra hours to better serve students.
- Black History Month Message Inspires Supt. Reedy The key to overcoming inequity is developing relationships with students and their families, the Superintendent wrote to employees.
- Supt. Reedy Thanks Voters for Supporting Students, Schools Voter approval of a $575 million bond/mil levy "guarantees a better educational experience for our students," said APS Superintendent Raquel Reedy.
- Shine Spotlight on Our Schools during Choice Week Supt. Reedy encourages schools to show off what they have to offer during National School Choice Week Jan. 24-30.
- Supt. Reedy's Message on Poverty Poverty is prevalent in our schools. Read Supt. Reedy's message on how some are addressing the issue.
- Superintendent Not Used to Spotlight Like most educators, Supt. Reedy isn't in this job for glory or recognition.
- New Chief Brings Calm, Steadying Hand to APS Read the profile on Supt. Reedy that ran in the Nov. 29 edition of the Albuquerque Journal.
- Many Great Things Happening in Our Schools Supt. Reedy spotlights a couple of bilingual students who exemplify effective school programs.
- Teachers are Teaching & Students are Learning Supt. Reedy reminds employees that while standardized assessments play a role in education, they are just one tool used to measure student success.
- We Pull Together When It Counts Supt. Reedy encourages employees to consider giving through United Way.
- Special Ed Teacher Exemplifies Dedication Supt. Reedy recognizes adapted PE teacher Doris Merzweiler and all those like her who go above and beyond to see that students get the help they need to succeed.
- Online Tool Helps Parents Help Their Kids Supt. Reedy encourages parents and students to use ParentVUE/StudentVUE.
- In the Groove: Message from the Superintendent Supt. Raquel Reedy says teaching and learning is as it should be in APS.
- Enjoy the Long Weekend Acting Supt. Reedy's Labor Day message for employees
- Acting Superintendent Up for the Challenge Raquel Reedy recognizes the value of stepping out of her comfort zone and facing the unknown.
- Raquel Reedy Named Acting Superintendent Board of Education accepts Dr. Luis Valentino's resignation.