Uniform Dress or Appearance for Musical Performing Group - May 1997 Revision
With reservations, the District does recognize that some schools may desire uniform dress or appearance for performing musical groups for positive reasons. These positive aspects might include group identity, motivation, and appearance. The ability of all students to participate in school-sponsored activities must be taken into consideration when uniforms are selected.
If a school does permit the wearing of a simple uniform dress or appearance requirements by musical performing groups, the following guidelines must be pursued:
- Parents are to be notified in advance of any uniform dress for musical performing groups during a school year in the school's course description booklet which is sent home to parents.
- Each teacher must have the approval of the school principal before any discussion and/or decision takes place between teacher and his/her class.
- As often as possible, uniforms will incorporate clothing that can be worn at other times.
- Total cost of outfit should not exceed minimum practical cost.
- Individual schools and/or music departments involved must be ready to help any student that cannot afford the minimum cost. Under no circumstances will any student ever be excluded from the performing group for not having the group uniform.
- Any exceptions to the above must be presented, in writing, to the school principal and will not be approved without counter signature of the appropriate assistant superintendent or designee.
- If a course or activity is required of all students, no fee may be charged nor may students be required to purchase a uniform.
NSBA/NEPN Classification: IHAGA
Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: May 1997