An expulsion is a disciplinary exclusion (suspension) from the school district that is greater than one (1) semester in length. It may be longer or even permanent.
Generally the district wishes to limit exclusion from school to no longer than the end of the current semester. In some cases, there is a need to implement an expulsion as an extreme last resort for disciplining students who exhibit unacceptable behaviors such as drug possession, drug sales, acts of extreme violence, vandalism, weapons possession, weapons use, and other felonies. A school may also recommend for expulsion any student who has been suspended long-term two or more times.
To Recommend Expulsion
Schools shall follow the same due process procedures outlined for long-term suspension. In addition, school personnel shall be prepared to justify to the hearing officer the request for the most severe disciplinary action possible. The following special requirements shall apply when the hearing officer elects to uphold the school’s recommendation for expulsion.
- Unlike long-term suspension actions, the due process hearing for an "expulsion" cannot be waived. Even if the student and parents/legal guardians do not appear, the school shall present its case to the hearing officer.
- The superintendent or his/her designee shall review for affirmation or alteration all cases in which the hearing officer decides upon expulsion prior to final imposition of the discipline.
- Any student who has been expelled may petition for re-entry to the Albuquerque Public Schools after one calendar year from the date of expulsion. Students desiring re-entry shall submit a request in writing to the superintendent requesting a reconsideration hearing.
- Assistant Superintendent for School and Community Support/Associate Superintendent for High School/Associate Superintendent for Middle School/Associate Superintendents for Elementary School
- Director of Student, School and Community Service Center/Albuquerque Public Schools Hearing Officer
Legal Cross Ref.:
- §22-5-4.3 NMSA 1978
Board Policy Cross Ref.:
Procedural Directive Cross Ref:
- Notice of Discipline and/or Temporary or Anticipated Long-Term Suspension (contact Student, School, and Community Service Center)
NSBA/NEPN Classification: JKE
Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: June 1997
Reviewed: September 24, 2010
Reviewed: October 11, 2010
Revised: October 15, 2010