Section 504/ADA: Physical Access for Students, Parents, and Employees with Disabilities
- The site administrator will identify a need for physical access to a specific building, office, restroom, program or other area of the site by a specific student, parent, employee or community member with a disability. This must include:
- verification that the person has a disability preventing access in the current situation, and
- verification that the person has a legitimate need for access to that area on a continuing basis.
- The site administrator will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the person with a disability by means already available within the site.
- If on-site accommodations appear inadequate (following efforts described in “2” above), the administrator will submit a Physical Access Request form to the attention of the Physical Access Specialist, located at the Facilities Planning and Construction Department.
- Following receipt of a Physical Access Request form, the request will be reviewed by the Physical Access Specialist. The Physical Access Specialist and/or Physical Access Committee member will visit the site and explore the needs and options for a solution.
- The Physical Access Committee will meet to suggest a solution, based on information gathered by the Physical Access Specialist.
- Suggested solutions such as assistive technology devices; acquisition or modification of equipment or devices, training, or job modifications will be handled through the appropriate channels.
- If there is a need for physical modification, the Physical Access Specialist will submit the request to Maintenance and Operations or Special Projects for an estimate.
- Maintenance and Operations or Special Projects will complete a cost estimate and provide the Physical Access Specialist with that information.
- The Physical Access Specialist will complete the appropriate work order forms.
- Approval for remodeling will be obtained from the Physical Access Specialist or designee if the estimate does not exceed $2,500. If the proposed project cost exceeds $2,500, approval must be obtained from the Physical Access District Committee.
- Maintenance and Operations or Special Projects will be directed to proceed with the remodeling.
- Records of requests and status of those requests will be maintained by the Facilities Planning and Construction Office or the Physical Access Specialist.
Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: May 1996
Revised: May 1997
Revised: January 2005