Release of Students during the Instructional Day
Principals shall only authorize the removal of a student during the instructional day in the following circumstances:
- Law enforcement officers, with proper identification, may remove a student from school without a warrant pursuant to Board of Education policy and administrative procedural directive. Please refer to the “Safe Schools and Relations with Law Enforcement Authorities” procedural directive for additional information.
- A student shall be released to the custodial parent/legal guardian or an emergency contact with proper identification. When in doubt as to who has such rights, school records reflecting legal custody shall be relied upon. It is the responsibility of the parents/legal guardians to provide schools with accurate, up-to-date information regarding legal custody.
- Prior written authorization from the custodial parent/legal guardian shall be required before releasing a student into someone else's custody, unless a substantiated emergency justifies an exception.
- Albuquerque Public Schools Police shall be called if a visitor becomes disruptive or abusive.
- School personnel shall not remove, cause to be removed or allow to be removed a student from school grounds during the instructional day without the consent of the student's parent/legal guardian. School security officers or anyone officially responding to an emergency call may remove a student from school without parental/legal guardian authorization for disciplinary reasons.
School personnel ought to exercise discretion as to whether the student may be transported by ambulance or private vehicle to a doctor or hospital in case of an emergency. Please refer to the “Medical Care of Students: Emergency and General” procedural directive for more information.
Administrative Position: Assistant Superintendent for School and Community Support
Department Director: Director of School, Community and Student Service Center
Legal Cross Ref.:
Board Policy Cross Ref.:
Procedural Directive Cross Ref.:
- Released Time for Religious Instruction
- Safe Schools and Relations with Law Enforcement Authorities
- Medical Care of Students: Emergency and General
NSBA/NEPN Classification: JLIB
Introduced: September 24, 2010
Reviewed: October 15, 2010
Reviewed: November 8, 2010
Approved: November 12, 2010