Emergency Hazard Reporting
In the event of a hazard that threatens the well being of staff, students or visitors, the site administrator shall take the following actions:
- When there is a situation that requires immediate response to protect the safety of staff, students, or visitors the site administrator will call the M&O Emergency Work Order desk at 765-5950.
- Indicate if the situation has caused an injury, an accident, or has the potential to cause a serious injury.
- Call School Police at 243-7712.
- The site manager should take preventive action to minimize danger.
- The administrator should warn the staff and students of the hazard and may have to set up special supervision until it can be corrected.
- Rooms may have to be closed or barricades placed around a dangerous area.
- Risk Management monitors the procedure to:
- determine that the hazard has abated;
- check for similar hazards elsewhere in the District; and
- take such actions as necessary to eliminate similar hazards in other parts of the District.
Examples of emergency situations include gas leaks, fires, structural failure, blocked plumbing, loss of electrical power, broken glass in doors and windows or any other situation that presents immediate danger to persons, has the potential for appreciable financial loss or otherwise seriously hampers the educational program.
The principal should monitor accident reports at the school location to determine if uncontrolled situations are leading to accidents. The principal might use the Safety Committee to identify potential hazards.
Cross Ref.: Board Policy E.01
NSBA/NEPN Classification: EBAA
Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: May 1997