Surveys and Research Conducted in APS
Agencies and individuals outside the District and District personnel working to conduct research must have prior approval by the Research Review Committee. This committee operates under the auspices of Research, Development, and Accountability.
The Research Review Committee (RRC) was formed for the following reasons:
- Requests to conduct research in our schools had become so numerous that intrusions into teacher and student time had to be limited only to those topics of interest and benefit to the district.
- If research conducted in our schools is to be of benefit to the district it is important to provide assurance that it will be carried out appropriately.
- Certain topics are considered reserved or protected. Topics currently under study by the district and topics deemed inappropriate for student participation are reserved from study. The RRC rejects these requests.
All research conducted using APS staff or students or assessing APS records must be approved by the RRC. This required approval applies to evaluation studies, studies confined to reviews of records and survey distribution.
The RRC operates under the auspices of the Research Development and Accountability department. The committee is made up of representatives from elementary, middle and high school administration and a variety of district support programs.
All proposals submitted by the deadlines will be reviewed and researchers notified no later than one week after the listed meeting date. APS school administrators are asked not to participate in research/survey activities not approved by RRC.
Once RRC reviews a proposal the researcher receives a letter of approval. This letter approves access only. Participation in the approved proposed research, study, or survey is a school administrator decision. At the school level, individuals retain the right to refuse participation.
If you receive requests from UNM students or staff, from CNM or from other organizations or individuals, to conduct research or distribute surveys, please direct the request to Jerry Seidenwurm, Chairperson of the Research Review Committee at RDA (848-8710).
- Research Proposals directive
- Preparation of a Study Proposal directive
NSBA/NEPN Classification: CL
Revised: May 1995
Revised: April 1996
Revised: May 1997