J.24 Acceptable Student Use of Personal Electronic Devices - May 2010 Revision
Albuquerque Public Schools shall permit student possession of personal electronic devices on all district property and at all district sponsored activities while the student is under the supervision of district staff. These devices shall be kept out of sight and silenced or powered off during the instructional day unless otherwise permitted by district or school procedures. Use of personal electronic devices that disrupt the instructional day or include unauthorized use shall be prohibited.
Albuquerque Public Schools shall not be responsible for restricting, monitoring or controlling the electronic communications of students; however, it reserves the right to do so.
For purposes of this policy, “personal electronic device” means any device that a student is in possession of which electronically communicates, sends, receives, stores, reproduces or displays voice and/or text communication or data. These include, but are not limited to cellular phones, pagers, smart phones, music and media players, gaming devices, tablets, laptop computers and personal digital assistants.
Administrative Position: Associate Superintendent of High Schools/Associate Superintendent of Middle Schools/Associate Superintendents of Elementary Schools
Department Director: Associate Superintendent of High Schools Project Manager/Associate Superintendent of Middle Schools Project Manager
Board Policy Cross Ref.:
- I.10 Student Internet Acceptable Policy
- J.19 Students and Off-Campus Violent Acts
- J.21 Bullying Prevention
Procedural Directive Cross Ref.:
- Student Acceptable Use of Personal Electronic Devices
- Bullying Prevention
- Gender Discrimination and Sexual Harassment: Students
- Section 504/ADA: Physical Access for Students, Parents and Employees with Disabilities
- Section 504/ADA Compliance: Students
- Disability Harassment: Students
- Discrimination and Harassment: Students
- Discrimination and Harassment: Employees
- Personal Electronic Devices Confiscation Log Template
- Personal Electronic Devices School Confiscation Process Template
NSBA/NEPN Classification: JICJ
Introduced: May 11, 2010
Approved: May 13, 2010