DE2 - Debt Management
The Albuquerque Public Schools recognizes the foundation of any well-managed debt program is oversight by the Board of Education to ensure district compliance with a comprehensive debt management procedural directive as established by the superintendent, or his/her designee. All debt incurred by Albuquerque Public Schools shall be done so only for those purposes permitted in the New Mexico State Constitution and state statute and regulation.
The superintendent, or his/her designee, shall establish and comply with a debt management procedural directive which shall include, but not be limited to:
- The parameters for issuing debt and managing the district’s outstanding debt portfolio;
- Guidance to the superintendent, and his/her designee, regarding the purposes for which debt may be issued, types and amounts of permissible debt, timing and method of sale that may be used, and structural features that may be incorporated;
- Processes to impose order and discipline in debt issuance;
- Consistency and continuity to ensure quality in the decision-making process decisions;
- A commitment to long-term financial planning objectives; and
- Practices that ensure that the debt management decisions are viewed positively by rating agencies, the investment community and taxpayers.
The superintendent, or his/her designee, shall provide annual reports to the Board of Education regarding the debt management program.
Administrative Position: Chief Financial Officer
Department Director: Executive Director of Accounting
Legal Cross Ref.:
Board Policy Cross Ref.: DE – Bonds, Mill Levys and Education Technology Notes
Procedural Directive Cross Ref.:
NSBA/NEPN Classification: DE
Introduced: June 11, 2014
Adopted: June 18, 2014